• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

To cure or not to cure

Started by Shiner, October 22, 2013, 01:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiner

I have been reading many conflicting posts about weather to cure jerky or not. All seem to agree that hamburger jerky should have a cure, however I am reading many posts that say that muscle meat does not need a cure, I am confused. It seems to me that that should also have a cure because of the low temps. But then I think of the natives making jerky by just air drying, and I am sure they had no cure in those days.

Sailor

Danger zone for meats is 40 degrees to 140 degrees.  Most people dry jerky at 150-160 degrees.  Personally I would never take the chance of not using cure in whole muscle jerky.  All it takes is that one time that the nasty spores are present and then those that eat it get very sick and possible die.  Got to ask yourself.....is this the batch of jerky that contains the dreaded nasty spores or not.  Using cure in whole muscle will make sure you don't kill yourself or your loved ones.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

beefmann

better to be safe then sorry,, add it

Mr Walleye

Shiner

I think the reason is really in the fact that the bacteria, if present, is always on the outside of whole muscle meat. Once the meat is ground any bacteria gets mixed in as well. This is why when making ground jerky most everyone agrees that you should use a cure. The other fact is the bacteria prefers a lack of oxygen and where better to find that then in the middle of ground meat.

When it comes to whole muscle meat the debate is, if the bacteria is present and if the bacteria is only on the outside of the meat and your using 150 degrees, the outside surface of the meat is exposed to a more rapid rise in temperature and therefore killing it. Of course you can always use cure and be that much more confident.

That's basically how I understand it. I typically use cure for both however years ago I only made whole muscle jerky and I never used a cure. Not saying it's good or bad but that was how I did it back in the day.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Saber 4

All of the above is good info and I also use cure for both types of jerky, better safe than sorry. And just for the record, who knows how much of the shorter life expectancy of the native jerky makers was due to food poisoning.

Whistlerduck

I didn't use cure on mine and you have me concerned or at least thinking on using it next time. Would I just add it to my current marinade? I am not sure how to work with cure so any tips or comments would be welcome....I am also going to comb the threads to see whats already posted!

-
DBS 6

ragweed

I've walked the same path as you and now add cure #1 to all my jerky.  One teaspoon per 5 lbs of meat right into the marinade.  The true experts should be along shortly with more details and hopefully not tell me I'm wrong!!

Snoopy

from everything i've read on here and on the internet its a matter of peace of mind in my opinion  (for whole meat), there are thousands of recipes on the internet that don't call for it and just as many that do. i've only done jerky once in the bradley so far and didn't use it and nobody died, but like stated all it takes is that one time. I will be picking some up before i make another batch simply to have that peace of mind when doing it. I went to a place in town that has been making jerky for many many years and they don't use it but they also dry theirs around 180º. just my 2¢

4given

So if I you go 150 or above you are safe without the cure?  :-\
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

devo

Don't let the 150 mark confuse you. The danger zone is the internal temp of your meat. If you have your cooker set at 150 your meat temp still could stay in the danger zone for a long period of time. USE CURE PERIOD

4given

I can't use cure if my wife is going to eat it.  She has a problem metabolizing Nitrates, MSG an other chemicals due to liver problems. I guess my only choice is to do the jerky at a higher temp?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

devo

Lots of people with pellet smokers and big stick smokers do jerker at around 250 degrees. From the pictures I have seen it looks OK but never really seen any up close. If you make it at the higher temp and refrigerate it after it should be just fine. Use a paper bag or a canister with holes in it to store it. Baggies are not recommended 

4given

I have a GMG pellet grill and their website recipe calls for 185 and no cure. Maybe I'll try that
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

fjp110

I stated using a cure just to be safe.  I add the #1 to whatever marinade I am using.  I think I read somewhere that if you  don't want to use the cure to raise the internal temp to 185 F (I think 185F)then bring it back down to dry it.   I did it once this way I got hte smoker going and started the jerky in the oven, got it to 185 (I think that is the right number) and then took the hoy trays to the smoker.  obviously do research on this method, please don't take my temps for gospil.