• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tonights Dinner - Smoked Prime Rib

Started by Sacrifice, June 04, 2006, 07:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sacrifice

Just finished eating the best prime rib dinner I have ever had!

My brother, a frequent diner at my house when I am smoking, asked if I would smoke a prime rib if he bought one, and being one to rarely say no to free meat, I agreed.  So, Friday night he brought over a 6-1/2 pound boneless prime rib for me to smoke today. 

Today, I took the meat out of the fridge two hours prior to smoking and put garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and a bit of hot pepper powder on the meat and let it sit uncovered for 2 hours.  Just prior to putting the meat in the smoker I put a generous amount of kosher salt on it.  I preheated the Bradley to 205 using my Procom and put in 9 Oak, 3 Hickory, and one Mesquite puck, alternating the Oak with the Hickory and Mesquite for the initial pucks.

I let the meat smoke for 4 hours 50 minute, until the internal temp was 143 (I do not like rare meat so the 143 got me to a medium doneness I like when served).  I pulled the meat at 143 and covered it in foil and a towel. For about 15 minutes.  The last 30 minutes of cooking I also turned the Bradley to 315 (LOL – like it would ever get to 315 on a cloudy day) and it managed to rise to about 230.  I just wanted a bit of a crust, which I sort of got.

Anyway, all I can say is that I have never had a juicer, more tender prime rib in my life, and I have had a lot of prime rib in some amazing restaurants.  You could almost cut this roast with a fork, and the juice was amazingly abundant.  In fact, other than fat, there were only a few spots of drippings on the aluminum foil drip pan that I thought I was going to catch all the drippings for gravy – no drippings!  The spices were not overpowering, and the smoke flavor was just right, and seemed to penetrate throughout the meat. My brother, who eats prime rib often, was amazed, and my wife, who rarely eats much meat, finished off a huge slice.  In fact my brother likes his meat rare, but because of the juiciness and tenderness of this roast, was well satisfied with medium.

;D

owrstrich

Sacrifice...

i just had a low carb $6 burger... im a frequent visitor at carls jr...

you keep smoking like that and you will have lotts more frequent visitors...  not a bad deal it they are buying the beast...

bubba recommended rolling the ribb in liptons onion soup mix a day in advance... its awesome...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Oldman

Sacrifice,

Thanks for sharing your story.  Glad that you liked the end results.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Bassman

Sacrifice,
Thanks for sharing, that sounds excellent!!!  :P I'll be trying that real soon!
Jack

MRH

I was wondering about doing prime rib in the Bradley, now I know thanks for the post. ;)

MRH

aha638

I have been following the comments on this subject from day one.  I have several questions I would like to ask.  First, are you all leaving the bones on during the smoke?  Second, does any one remove the "fat cap" and place it over ther roast on an upper shelf.

Looking forward to my first Prime Rib Roast.

Al

Oldman

I'm doing one tomorrow. I will remove the bones and boil them to make my beef stock that later I will turn into Au Jus.  Once the meat is smoked to 130- 135 F I will place it into a cooler and then pour all over it the boiling Au Jus. Once the meat hits 140 F I will take it out.  It is for this reason I do not add salt or pepper to the beef when cooking it.  The Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce that I use in the Au Jus will give just enough "pepper" and the salt in the Au Jus will also be enough.

I've done this way for years and it always works out just great. HOWEVER, this is the first time I will be smokin' a P-rib. It will be interesting to see just how much of the smoke flavor the Au Jus takes on. I'm going to smoke it using Adler wood-- 3 hours this first time out. Target Temp of the Bradley will be 190 -205 F.  I will place a "lipped cookie sheet" under the rib and fill it with water. I will take pictures if I get time.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

I hope you have time for those pics ;D.  Sounds really good 8).
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

The weather stop me from smokin'. To much rain.  :'(

BigSmoker

Dang I was hoping for some nice pics ;D
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

iceman

Bummer about the weather Old's. The news said there was something brewing out there and headed your way. Hope they're wrong and the sun comes out for you. Take care.