• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Second batch of greek loukaniko sausage

Started by Saber 4, December 11, 2013, 01:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Just finished the second batch of sausage from my friends grandfather's recipe from back in Greece. The first batch was close but a little salty so this batch has the seasonings adjusted based on his memory since we only have the ingredients and no measurements to go by. The goal when we get the recipe right is for him to put it on the menu for his Greek Restaurant in the Dallas area.

Here are it is stuffed and twisted into links

And cut into links to go for a quick flash freeze so I can vacuum seal them up.

All packaged up in 1lb. packages which equaled up to 3 links each.

I made a couple of patties for dinner from the leftover un stuffed sausage and I'll post a picture of that after dinner and some cooked and plated pictures when I deliver them tomorrow. And I don't know why the pictures keep flipping, I've resized and flipped on photobucket, so you'll just have to look sideways or lay your monitor on it's side ;)

Gafala

Your photos are fine right side up. The sausages look good.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

beefmann

Saber 4

Here's the dinner shot, made patties out of the loose sausage, it has a good flavor and I can't wait to take it up to the restaurant tomorrow and see how my friend thinks it turned out. It may still need a little tweaking but I think we will be close.

wkahler

This is awesome we love Greek food around here!  I had a friend want to know yesterday if i can sell him some of my brats LOL!!  I said no i can't sell u anything but i can gladly make it for u for a small donation LOL!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

SiFumar

Looks amazing Saber....does that sausage have orange peel in it?  I've made a Greek sausage for many years...but just called it Orange sausage :).  And more often than not, just made meatballs out of it.  So wish you'd post recipe! :-)

Saber 4

Quote from: SiFumar on December 13, 2013, 07:15:35 PM
Looks amazing Saber....does that sausage have orange peel in it?  I've made a Greek sausage for many years...but just called it Orange sausage :).  And more often than not, just made meatballs out of it.  So wish you'd post recipe! :-)

It does indeed have orange zest in it along with another unusual ingredient, since it's someone else's old family recipe I can't post it unless he gives the ok. I did find some similar recipes online but they actually had to many ingredients for his region of Greece, apparently every little village has it's own slightly to significantly different version depending on region. My friend says they always cut it in sections and browned the sections in olive oil and served with pita and tatziki sauce.

SiFumar

Saber 4

Quote from: SiFumar on December 13, 2013, 08:37:47 PM
I understand.  Here is the recipe I use.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=20754.msg253892#msg253892.  Maybe you can compare....

It has a lot more orange peel and is similarly simple but the ingredients aren't all the same.