• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hauling Brisket to Grandmas

Started by uplandpointer, December 18, 2013, 08:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplandpointer

Heading down to Grandmas  for Christmas. Would like to do a 8 to 10lb Brisket and take down with.

My thought is to start it and have it finished up just before we leave. I plan to foil it, wrap it up with towels and cooler.  Also think I would put it in the oven to bring it back up to temp before serving.

The problem is that it is a 4 hour drive. What do you think it would be like after the drive?   

tailfeathers

If you FTC it while it's still piping hot it will probably still be to hot to handle when you get there, and ell almost certainly be hot enough to serve without reheating. Just use the smallest cooler you can fit your foil and towel wrapped brisket in so you don't have a lot of dead air space to take away the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

I usually put a layer of newspaper on top before closing up the cooler. I have a styrofoam one that I saved when someone sent me an Omaha Steak gift pack and it works perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Tenpoint5

yep it should still be piping hot after 4 hours you should be good if you plan for 5 hours that is just in case the brisket doesn't feel like getting done exactly when YOU say it should be done.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

use FTC to get the brisket there, and it will still be hot

Pachanga

A friend of mine is in a business where he transports cold products on a daily basis in 100 plus weather.  I noticed he had a few layers of newspapers over the top of his products.  He told me it worked wonders. 

I started doing this during FTC over and under the towel for longer heat retention.  It works as Tailfeathers noted.  I think the science behind it is it reduces the size of the cooler to maximize heat or cold retention.  It is probably even more effective for heat; holding the heat down.

Good call Tailfeathers.

Pachanga

tskeeter

Quote from: Pachanga on December 19, 2013, 07:45:18 AM
A friend of mine is in a business where he transports cold products on a daily basis in 100 plus weather.  I noticed he had a few layers of newspapers over the top of his products.  He told me it worked wonders. 

I started doing this during FTC over and under the towel for longer heat retention.  It works as Tailfeathers noted.  I think the science behind it is it reduces the size of the cooler to maximize heat or cold retention.  It is probably even more effective for heat; holding the heat down.

Good call Tailfeathers.

Pachanga

When I was a kid, back in the dark ages, Mom used to transport hot food to family gatherings by wrapping the food container in several layers of newspaper, then she tied everything up in a dish towel, to hold the newspaper closed.  The reason this process works so well is that each layer of newspaper creates a dead air space, that prevents heat transfer.  Just like the insulation in your house.  This is also the principle behind the towel part of the FTC process.  If you use something like a bath towel, the material on the face of the towel creates thousands of tiny dead air spaces.  Want to extend your FTC time?  Do something that adds more dead air space.  Wrap in towel, then newspaper, in newspaper, then towel, two or three towels, etc.

Smokeville

Now we know why the British wrap their fish and chips in newspaper.... :D

uplandpointer

Well we made it back from Grandmas. The Brisket was a hit!  I cooked one the same size for Christmas day as a test run and it worked out fine. It was about 10.5 lbs. and I had it in the smoker for just over 12 hr. so I thought I would go with that time as a bench mark.  I got home from work about 7:30 pm and had it in the smoker by 8:00. (my wife had the Brisket out of the fridge and the smoker heating up so all I had to do is get the smoke rolling and put it the meat.)   All was good at mid night I did a final smoke and topped off the water then laid down for a short nap. At 4 am I woke up and looked at the remote temp gage. It was off so I jumped up and tested with my hand held. It was almost 200* and I thought I would have had 4 more hours left.  So I just FTCed it and went to bed thinking that I would have to reheat it and then use some BBq sauce if it was dry.  Well! 8hr. later it was still 150* so I just sliced it and served. I acted like I had done it that way a 100 times.

Thanks Guys!     

UncleAl

Glad to hear that it turned out so good for you.