• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

The weather man ruined my plans....

Started by pjplovedog, March 05, 2014, 03:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjplovedog

:(
So I brine/cured two briskets and had planned on turning one into corned beef, the other one into pastrami.  I checked the weather and the rain was supposed to let up after the brine time, so I would be able to smoke the pastrami outside.  I don't have much any way to get my smoker protected from heavy rain out on my uncovered patio.
Today I check the weather and there is really nothing but solid rain in the forecast for the next 7 days or so.  There's flooding all over up here. 
So, on the bright side, looks like I'll have twice as much corned beef, but not any pastrami.   Oh well, there could be worse things!  Corned beef Ruebens, Corned beef hash, corned beef and cabbage. 
I was just so looking forward to trying pastrami for the first time. 

Thanks for listening...I'm just missing smoked foods.  Still have some  smoked cheese in the frig, though! 

beefmann

at least you will have  plenty of corned beef for st Paddy day for a good crowd

SiFumar

Get another one going this week!  :) You can't go wrong with the corned beef either!

TedEbear

Quote from: pjplovedog on March 05, 2014, 03:06:30 PMI don't have much any way to get my smoker protected from heavy rain out on my uncovered patio.

It sounds like you may need one of these.   :)

pjplovedog

Quote from: TedEbear on March 05, 2014, 07:08:58 PM
Quote from: pjplovedog on March 05, 2014, 03:06:30 PMI don't have much any way to get my smoker protected from heavy rain out on my uncovered patio.

It sounds like you may need one of these.   :)

I sure wish that would work! My entire patio has at least 1/2 - 2 inches standing water on it.  :( 
The drainage system can't quite keep up with the rain..LOL
On the bright side.... I cooked up one of the corned beef's today and it is absolutely marvelous.  I will have plenty of goodness to go around!!
I can get another one going and hope for the dry side of life!!! 

Thanks all for the listening and sympathy!
Paula

GusRobin

you can always cook one into pastrami using your house oven. May miss the smoke but you will have decent pastrami.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Salmonsmoker

Why not freeze it until we have some dry weather here? Freezing won't affect it. Then you can thaw and smoke. Tell you what....the rain we had here this morning between 3 and 6 am. Man! Wish we could push some of it southward a couple of states. We have a lot of green forests here, but could do with a lot less gray this time of year. :(
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

pjplovedog

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on March 05, 2014, 10:30:26 PM
Why not freeze it until we have some dry weather here? Freezing won't affect it. Then you can thaw and smoke. Tell you what....the rain we had here this morning between 3 and 6 am. Man! Wish we could push some of it southward a couple of states. We have a lot of green forests here, but could do with a lot less gray this time of year. :(

I know what you're talking about... I am in Redmond.  My patio looked like a pond yesterday.
I think I may do what you suggested and go ahead and freeze the corned beef and wait for a weather window.  If I can keep everybody away.  The homemade corned beef is so so tasty.
Thanks!!

ragweed

Wow!  Small world PJP.  My daughter and SIL live in Snoqualmie.  I think the fancy G-store she took me to was in Redmond.

pjplovedog

Quote from: ragweed on March 06, 2014, 02:31:01 PM
Wow!  Small world PJP.  My daughter and SIL live in Snoqualmie.  I think the fancy G-store she took me to was in Redmond.
I was just over in Snoqualmie last Friday.  There's a sort of cool old building they've made into a restaurant.  It's called the Woodman Lodge.  We had a delicious dinner there. 
:)

ragweed

Quote from: pjplovedog on March 06, 2014, 02:33:08 PM
I was just over in Snoqualmie last Friday.  There's a sort of cool old building they've made into a restaurant.  It's called the Woodman Lodge.  We had a delicious dinner there. 

Been there.  The Elk medallions were fantastic.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: ragweed on March 06, 2014, 02:46:59 PM

Ragweed, next time you're going to be in the are send out a preliminary notice. Maybe a few of us can get together for a snack. ;)

ragweed

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on March 06, 2014, 09:25:43 PM

Ragweed, next time you're going to be in the are send out a preliminary notice. Maybe a few of us can get together for a snack. ;)

Will do!  The perfect op would be when you folks schedule a smoke out. ;) ;) ;)  Hint, hint.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: ragweed on March 07, 2014, 06:18:31 AM
Quote from: Salmonsmoker on March 06, 2014, 09:25:43 PM

Will do!  The perfect op would be when you folks schedule a smoke out. ;) ;) ;)  Hint, hint.

I'm not on the planning committee. My assigned duty is to just show up and eat. ::) ;)

pjplovedog

Yes the Elk is fantastic.  Also the braised Pork shanks and their prime rib is always consistent.  !! 
They have a super happy hour also, $5.00 menu items including a big burger.   Okay.... that's enough.