• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie Smoker from Hamilton, Ontario

Started by Networx, December 26, 2013, 07:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Networx

Best. Christmas. Present. Ever!!! I'm new to smoking and really looking forward to learning how to make my own BBQ. I was given the basic model, the BTIS1.  I seasoned the smoker yesterday and today I'm trying two three pound pork butts for our first Pulled Pork.  My first question is, how many pucks do I put in the smoker for a recipe that says it will take 10-12 hours?  I have about 19 left after the seasoning process so I've just loaded those all up. Do I just let them get used and then let the smoke do it's job for the remainder of the time needed?
Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

KyNola

First of all congratulations on your smoker.  About 4 hours of smoke is all you will need so 14 pucks.(The last 2 are to push the last spent one into the water).  Don't depend on a "time" recipe.  You need to go by the internal temperature of the meat, 190-200 degrees.  Also, do not be surprised when the internal temp on the meat stalls at some where around 160 for a few hours.  That is normal.  Resist the urge to bump up the temp in order to make the  internal temp of the meat start rising again.  Smoke/cook the   butts at around 225.  Preheat your smoker prior to putting the meat in the tower.  Also, be prepared for it to take quite a while for the heat in your tower to recover.  Opening the door loses all of the heat and the cold butts will absorb all of the heat your Bradley is trying to generate.  Lastly, make sure your water bowl stays full of water.  After the 4 hour smoke period, empty the bowl of the spent pucks and refill with water.

Others more knowledgeable than me will come along to give you better advice.

tailfeathers

19 pucks will give you over six hours of smoke, I would say that will be more than enough. If you use them all you will have to put the last couple on the burner manually unless you have a couple of bubba pucks. Just remember low and slow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

beefmann

hello and welcome aboard,

if it is  me, I would go with  3 to 4 hours of smoke,,, 1 puck is 20 minutes of smoke 3  pucks = 1 hour...

smoke and cook at 225 F till fully smoked and  cooked, after the 3 to 4 hours of  smoke , continue to  cook in the smoker  at  225 f till an  Internal Temp of 190 - 200 F for  pulled  pork, if  you  are  looking  for a  pork roast,,, 155 to 180 F is  good  depending on your  taste

also keep your  top  vent  wide open...  keep your  top  vent   wide open

tailfeathers

Networx don't let Kynola trick you when he says others with more knowledge will be along with advice because others with more knowledge than he has do not exist. You would do well to heed his words of wisdom. These forums are an unbelievable source of knowledge and friendly advice. Welcome aboard, enjoy and ask. I'm pretty sure there isn't a question out there that someone hadn't asked a had someone else know the answer. Oh and finally, you will discover that we like pictures! No pics=didn't happen!

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

NorthShoreMN

Welcome from Minnesota

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

UncleAl

lumpy

Welcome to the forum

Lumpy from Kitchener

Beekeeper

Welcome, from Illinois USA.  I have family close to you in Grimsby, ON.  We love visiting your beautiful country!

Saber 4

ragweed

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Indy Smoker

Welcome from Indiana.
I will reiterate what was already said about not bumping up the temp. Patience is key. I do suggest a good internal thermometer. You can find one at yardandpool.com impossible to get the right internal temp without one.

Dano

Welcome to the forum from Kitchener, Ontario!
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)