• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maiden Voyage this weekend

Started by BBNRules, January 08, 2014, 05:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBNRules

I've read enough here to be dangerous.  Can't wait to try out my OBS this weekend.  I got the Maverick dual thermometer.  Is there any combination of what might be a good first batch of food to cook.  I was thinking ribs and chicken thighs and breasts.  I'm using the 3-2-1 method for the ribs and doing chicken might be a good time to remove the chicken at the 2.5 to 3 hour mark.  Am I thinking right or way off?  Thanks in advance, so many good ideas and generally cool people offering help and advice to the new folks.

I hail from Kentucky (GO BIG BLUE!!!) but currently live outside of Atlanta.  This week has been crazy in the ATL.  Colder here than in Moscow, Russia this week.  Rain and 61 Saturday so instead of golf, it'll be me and the smoker at the end of my garage with a fan to push the smoke outside.  Thanks again for all the good info.

beefmann

sounds likje your well on your  way,  just have the chicken lower in the cabinet then the  ribs or do them separately because of contamination  issues

BBNRules

LOL, I actually read that here on another post and thanks for reminding me.  I also read that the ribs should go on the top rack and the chicken should go on the lower rack, but not the lowest.  Looking forward to it.  One negative, I have a dumb phone so I'll have to enlist my son and his iPhone for pictures.  :)

KyNola

Greetings from Paducah KY.  A couple of things.  There is no reason to place the rib on the highest rack(is that what you meant or just  the rack above the chicken?)  If I were going to cook to both at the same time, I would place the chicken on the next to lowest rack and the ribs directly above the chicken if you have enough room.  Otherwise your ribs may have to be on the highest rack.  You can't go by time on the chicken nor the ribs for that matter.  You have a dual probe Maverick.  Use the meat probe in the chicken to determine doneness.  Monitor the temp in the tower with your Maverick and disregard what your Bradley may be showing as the temp in the tower.

Vent open as the chicken will give off a ton of moisture.  Preheat your smoker.

If you have any questions we're here for you.

BBNRules

Thanks for the advice.  I'm from your neck of the woods (Madisonville) so I know how much BBQ is loved in that area.  There is a place in Paducah that my dad always raves about.  Forgot the name, great pulled pork sandwiches with a vinegar sauce. 

One question regarding the Maverick.  Do you run the probe lines out of the vent or through the door?

KyNola

Your Dad is most likely raving about Starne's. Same little concrete block building, about 1.5 miles away from me. Since being on this forum and people learning about Starne's sauce I have literally shipped it all over the US.

Running the wires through the door is my preference.  Makes them easier to deal with and you will have no smoke nor heat leakage.

BBNRules

OK, one thing though, I have read on here to keep the vent wide open so moisture doesn't build up.  When to open and when to close, that's my question.

Yes, Starnes is the place I've been to.  Very good.

KyNola

There are lots of theories about the vent.  I removed my vent long ago.  Others position it in various settings for different reasons.  Poultry in particular throws off a lot of moisture and you want that out of there asap.  Otherwise it can and will condensate on the inside top wall and drip a very nasty black rain down on to your meat.  It can also run down the door and out from under the door, staining everything it comes in contact with.(Don't ask me how I know that :o)

UncleAl

BBNRules welcome to the forum from Michigan. With KyNola schooling you I know you will do great. If you have any questions ask thats how we all learn. We all love to see pictures.

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  Don't worry.  KyNola will take care of his fellow Kentuckian.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

TNRockyraccoon

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, KyNola has you going in the right direction.

BBNRules

Welcome from Texas, KyNola has you going in the right direction.

Spent 10 years in Dallas, TX.  Loved it there.