• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking for the hart

Started by RedJada, January 22, 2014, 03:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

About a week ago I had a little incident at work. While I was at the docs getting that sewed up it was discovered I have high BP, very high. I'm now on BP meds and going through a series of tests on the ticker. Doc said I need to cut out the salt. So what are my options? I looked at the recipe site and didn't see anything related to healthy somkin  ;D ;D ;D. I do need to add more fruits and veggies in the diet. I also usually my meat and poultry from a butcher that is fresh cut, eat it or freeze it. Looking for ideas.

Saber 4

My doc told me to wait until they got my meds adjusted to the right level before I started to see if I needed to cut out salt, I got lucky and they got my BP under control and cutting salt out had no effect on my BP so I didn't have to.

pokermeister

As someone that has controlled high blood pressure for several years; when I look at a commercial rub or sauce, I see if the first ingredient listed is salt. The ingredients are listed in descending order based on percentages. The ones I avoid have salt as the first or second ingredient. Hope this helps.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Habanero Smoker

I'm on a reduced sodium diet, so I need to eat things in moderation, though the medication I am on does a great job in keeping my BP within a healthy range.

Many sites that sell barbecue seasonings and sauces now have a selection of no salt, or low salt rubs to select from. I know Dizzy Pig makes no salt and low salt rubs. I also believe I seen some on the Big Poppa Smoker site.

Try googling "no salt rubs recipe" or "no salt seasoning recipe".  I find the recipes that have a lot of citrus, and/or a fair amount of chile pepper (not overly hot) works best for flavoring meat and fish.

Having a low sodium/low calorie section on the recipe site is a good idea.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RedJada

The Meds I'm taking are to absorb the sodium in my body (or something like that). I go back to the docs in about weeks to go over all the tests. So I guess not until then will I know all the details. In the mean time, I have been pondering some low sodium/calorie recipes. Hopefully I will able to face the cold this weekend and play a little.