• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temp control

Started by Matth, January 03, 2014, 08:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matth

My smoked fish ended up being fish jerky today because of wild temperature fluctuations.  Much of it had to do with outside temps and wind.

Has anyone used one of these with their non-digital Bradley?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/johnson-digital-temperature-controller.html

I'm thinking this might do the trick. 

Please share your wisdom.

ragweed

Sorry.  No experience with that.  I have an Auber PID.  Controls within a couple of degrees.  More expensive though.

tailfeathers

I also use a single probe auber pid. I think you will find the majority of users who are using any kind of controller are using Auber equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Gafala

I use the Auber control and I'm very happy with it, it gives you multiple steps for heat and time.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Matth;

Welcome to the forum.

Squirtthecat used a similar controller for his Bradley, the Ranco ETC 111000-000. It has it's limitations, such as maximum temperature, but it did work well for him. The box itself is not even water resistant, so you need to take care to protect it from the elements. I use this same controller for my dry cure cabinet, and it will hold tight temperatures, not as tight as a PID, but it is very accurate. So if you don't need all the bells and whistles, that controller will do a fine job for smoking salmon, or anything else you can cook in the Bradley.

The below link is the Ranco ETC 111000-000, that I wired. So if you have a spare extension cord, and a few other parts you may save a few bucks by wiring your own.
Ranco ETC 111000-000 - 120V Wiring Guide

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: Matth on January 03, 2014, 08:06:05 PMHas anyone used one of these with their non-digital Bradley?

I have a Bradley OBS and I modified it with an Auber PID controller.  My setpoint temp stays within 1-2 degrees, no matter how much the weather changes during a long smoke session.

The PID was around $45.  Once you add in accessories such as a K-type thermocouple, heatsink and some miscellaneous parts the total cost is around $70-$80, depending on what parts you can scrounge up for free or have to purchase.

Matth

Thanks for the help.

It would appear that the Johnson controller would work.  It's about 1/2 the cost of the Auber controller I looked at.  If doing multiple step smoking, you would need to watch the time and reset the temps for each step.  The max temp on this device might limit some, but I have not attempted any recipes yet where I would need temps higher than this will allow (I think it was 230 degrees).

However it appears that the Auber controller being programmable will come as close as one can get to 'set it and forget it' smoking. I found good Auber info here:  http://auberins.com/images/Manual/WS-1200CPH.pdf.

Corrections and further comments welcome.

EnglishGuy

Well, I broke out the Bradley today to smoke some bacon, and I found that the temperature control was shot - the element is on at full blast all of the time. I tried squirting some switch lubricant in the slot thinking that it might just be oxidised connections on the rheostat, but to no avail. And after searching around, it seems that spares availability isn't that great either this side of the pond.

So, I am going to bite the bullet and build myself a PID controller for it. Aubers are just too expensive to import here to the UK ever since our Revenue Dept started cracking down on goods from the US (it would cost me $180, with shipping, to buy one on eBay and another $50 in import duties.

I think building my own would be a heck of a lot cheaper and get around the issue with the Bradley. And TedEbear's adaption looks pretty neat.

Salmonsmoker

As Habs stated, you're limited by max temp. that the probe can handle. it's only rated to 212F.  I've used Ranco controllers for years as related to my homebrewing for fermentation and lagering temp. control. This controller isn't as tight degree wise as an Auber or other pid, because it doesn't have the capability of "learning" the heat/cool times of the smoking cabinet to maintain a constant temperature like a pid does.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

drano

Here's another idea.  I used one on my Bradley before I upgraded to an Auber PID. 
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Temperature/Switches/DigitalPanelMount/SeriesTS/Ordering
I bought direct from the company.  Google will find other options. 
Its a thermostat, not a PID, so you'll still get temp swings, but not as bad as your factory Bradley.  I set the temp band to +/- 1 degree, so it was the most responsive it could be.
The temp probe is included with the price.  Max temp is 302 deg F.
I installed it in a Radio Shack plastic project box. 
Now that I've got a PID, I gave the Dwyer to a friend for his non-Bradley smoker.