• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bland Summer Sausage

Started by stantonl, March 10, 2014, 03:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stantonl

Bland might be an understatement. Made my first batch of summer sausage. I used a 50/50 mix of elk and pork. Decided to use a seasoning mix from the butcher I buy my meat from. I wanted to concentrate on stuffing and the water bath process. My first mistake was not frying up a test patty. I could have caught it there. My question is there anything I can do with it? I hate to think I have a bunch of dog treats now.

Larry

Sailor

If you have just stuffed it you can peel the casings off and try to doctor it up.  If you have already smoked (poached) it you got the flavor that you got.  You might try to fry a few slices up and see how that tastes.  You can chunk it up and put it in chili.  Put some in beans with some BBQ sauce.  I am sure you can think of more ways to use it in other dishes.  A slice of bland summer sausage on a cracker with some cheese and a little spread of hot mustard my do the trick too.

Be creative  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Saber 4

Quote from: Sailor on March 10, 2014, 04:40:01 PM
If you have just stuffed it you can peel the casings off and try to doctor it up.  If you have already smoked (poached) it you got the flavor that you got.  You might try to fry a few slices up and see how that tastes.  You can chunk it up and put it in chili.  Put some in beans with some BBQ sauce.  I am sure you can think of more ways to use it in other dishes.  A slice of bland summer sausage on a cracker with some cheese and a little spread of hot mustard my do the trick too.

Be creative  ;D

X2, everything Sailor said and be creative, chunk it up and use it in a stir fry with a strong flavored sauce and it won't go to waste.

pikeman_95

You might give this a try. Slice it about 3/16 inch slices rub a coat of Soy vay veri veri teriyaki  I find mine in the Asian food Isle of Walmart. before you give it a rub, mix in a good shot of your favorite red pepper. I like crushed red pepper that I grind again with my wife's coffee grinder. After the rub head for the oven or a food dehydrator. I know one jerky maker that just dries all of their meat strips and then coats the strips with what ever flavor they like. They then dry the flavor onto the surface. When you chew it up you chew the flavor into the jerky. It might be worth a try.
Kc

stantonl

Thanks for the great suggestions.  I  will have to try it mixed into some of my baked beans and chilli.

Larry