• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First time smoker have question

Started by NJbuckhunter, March 08, 2014, 06:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJbuckhunter

I have never smoked anything before I have the 6 rack digital smoker and my first try using it is going to be making venison meat sticks my question is what kind of wood pucks to use as in flavor any suggestions would help tons thanks in advance

Quarlow

Hmm, Venison....maybe a pecan or even alder. you could really use anything. A sweet wood might be nice with it. An expert smoker will come along soon. I am just a rookie here.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

Maybe this will help:

Bradley Bisquette Chart

Hickory   
Pungent, smoky, bacon-like flavor.   
Good with Pork, chicken, beef, wild game, cheeses.

Pecan   
Rich and more subtle than hickory, but similar in taste. Burns cool, so ideal for very low heat smoking.   
Pork, chicken, lamb, fish, cheeses.

Mesquite   
Sweeter, more delicate flavor than hickory. Tends to burn hot, so use carefully.   
Most meats, especially beef. Most vegetables.

Alder   
Delicate flavor that enhances lighter meats.   
Salmon, swordfish, sturgeon, other fish. Also good with chicken and pork.

Oak   
Forthright but pleasant flavor. Blends well with a variety of textures and flavors.   
Beef (particularly brisket), poultry, pork.

Maple   
Mildly smoky, somewhat sweet flavor. Try mixing maple with corncobs for ham or bacon.   
Poultry, vegetables, ham.

Cherry   
Slightly sweet, fruity smoke flavor.   
Poultry, game birds, pork.

Apple   
Slightly sweet but denser, fruity smoke flavor.   
Beef, poultry, game birds, pork particularly

Special Blend
Mildly sweet with a hint of hickory
Good with pork, fowl and sausage.

Extra for the poopers 

Peach or Pear Pellets. Slightly sweet, woodsy flavor.   
Poultry, game birds, pork.

Grape Pellets. Aromatic, similar to fruit woods.   
Turkey, chicken, beef.

Wine Barrel Pellets. Wine and oak flavors. A flavorful novelty that smells wonderful.   
Beef, turkey, chicken, cheeses.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Pic-N-Stick

With venison sticks I like some hickory.  But its easy to go too far with hickory, especially with something small like snack sticks.  I like going a combo of hickory and special blend or oak/ whisky oak pucks.  But I've done them with cherry, apple, pecan etc. and not had bad results.  Keep the damper open and the door closed, and post your results! 8) 

watchdog56

NJbuckhunter

Thanks guys I will post once I make them