• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Belly Skin!

Started by mwilliams7967, March 27, 2014, 04:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwilliams7967

Guys! I just cut skin off of a pork belly. Is this useful in any way. Should it be saved? Can it be frozen? Etc... Any ideas would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyNola

Yep, cut into strips, season them up and deep fry in hot oil at 360 degrees.  When they look golden brown take them out and drain them on paper towels.  While still hot season them again.  Devour immediately.

Ka Honu

Or you can bake them. A bit more trouble but I hate deep frying anything...

• Cut the skin into 1-inch strips

• Place in a covered pan of boiling water for 30 minutes

• Allow to cool, then place in the fridge until the skins feel 'dry' (2 hours to overnight)

• Preheat the oven to 225 and place the rinds on a rack over a baking sheet. Using a bamboo skewer, poke as many holes as you can on the skin.

• Place in the oven for one hour.

• Turn the oven up to 400 and poke holes again where the skin is still soft. Cook for about another 45 minutes (until crisp). You may need to poke more holes or drain the fat a time or two.

• Lay some clean newspaper on the counter, cover with a layer of paper towels, and dump. There shouldn't be too much grease for the towels to absorb.

• While they are still warm, transfer to a bowl and sprinkle liberally with seasoning of your choice. Let them cool for about 15 minutes and cut them into squares.

• Serve.

• Okay to store in refrigerator (ZipLoc bags) for 7-10 days. Longer may start to get rancid. To reheat , warm at 200 to 250°F in the oven or grill (NO microwave).

Habanero Smoker

One thing that I do, is to place it in the smoker during the smoking period. After the smoke has been applied, then cut into 2" x 2" squares, freeze and use them to flavor beans and/or casseroles.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Turtle, never heard of doing them in the oven.  Great idea - I'll have to try it.  Does the oven smoke a lot while cooking them?  I've also done what Habs has done, but salted them down for overnight before smoking.  And I'll leave a little more of the belly on when I do them. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mwilliams7967

Great ideas!! I may try a couple of these recipes! I knew you guys would come through! Thank you again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viper125

Well we still do the the hill way. Slice pork skin into strips 1 " wide and then cut in 1 x 1 pieces. Throw them in a large cast iron skillet and set on low heat and add a lid. Rendering the lard out first. Constantly pouring in to a container we keep for this. When the grease quits coming we turn the heat up remove the lid and fry till crispy. When crispy we spread out on a kitchen towel and pat off most of the extra grease then let sit after salting to cool. I like to sprinkle a little cayenne on mine too. These make gres called them.at craklins as we always
called them.
Now the grease will harden up giving you the best cooking grease and baking grease there is. Once thought to be unhealthy now they claim its healthier then the new oils and grease. LOL! No matter what pork grease is the tastiest. And any thing in moderation is fine.;
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

tskeeter

Quote from: viper125 on March 28, 2014, 07:33:35 AM
Well we still do the the hill way. Slice pork skin into strips 1 " wide and then cut in 1 x 1 pieces. Throw them in a large cast iron skillet and set on low heat and add a lid. Rendering the lard out first. Constantly pouring in to a container we keep for this. When the grease quits coming we turn the heat up remove the lid and fry till crispy. When crispy we spread out on a kitchen towel and pat off most of the extra grease then let sit after salting to cool. I like to sprinkle a little cayenne on mine too. These make gres called them.at craklins as we always
called them.
Now the grease will harden up giving you the best cooking grease and baking grease there is. Once thought to be unhealthy now they claim its healthier then the new oils and grease. LOL! No matter what pork grease is the tastiest. And any thing in moderation is fine.;

Absolutely nothing beats hog fat for frying donuts!  MMMMMM!  Warm cake donuts, dredged in cinnamon and sugar, with grease soaking through the brown paper bag.  Them's good eats.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Caneyscud on March 28, 2014, 06:28:29 AM...Does the oven smoke a lot while cooking them?

It can smoke some during the 400o part of the cook but not badly.

Here are some photos of a batch I made a month or so ago...

Caneyscud

Those look good enough to eat! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"