• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Butt

Started by Brassarj, March 21, 2014, 07:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brassarj

The sun was out in Washington today so I threw this in for tomorrow's lunch

I'll post a few more pics later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brassarj

5 hours in, 140 degrees

11 hours in, 172 degrees

(Steam not smoke)

TedEbear

Looks like it's coming along nicely.  What chamber temp do you have it set at and what IT do you plan on pulling it?  I've found that when I cooked mine at a chamber temp of 210 versus my old 225 that I'd used for years they came out noticeably more tender and juicy.  When I did the fork twist test at an IT of 190 it was ready.

Brassarj

I was at 205-210 for the first 11 hours but now I've bumped to 225-230 to get it out between 10-11am, gotta transport an hour north for lunch.

First time I've dropped the temp for that long. Usually 225-230 is what I use.

Brassarj

Oh yeah, I usually pull and FTC around 195ish

Brassarj

187 degrees

Just for fun I made some ABT's and threw them in, first time so they might be a disaster.

Threw another hour of apple smoke in.

Brassarj

Boom.

Saber 4

tailfeathers

Hey Brassarj, I have a suggestion for you. Instead of using toothpicks to secure the bacon, try pieces of uncooked spaghetti noodles. They cook along with the rest of the food so at the end you just pop your food in your mouth, no toothpick to worry about having to remove. It works very well. The only time I secure with toothpicks anymore is if I want to use the toothpick as a handle to pick up the food with.

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Brassarj

Does the spaghetti cook up/get soft?

tailfeathers

Yes, the spaghetti will hold the bacon in place long enough for it (the bacon) to retain the desired shape before it (the spaghetti) cooks and becomes soft. I use it all the time when I marinate pieces of duck breast in Italian dressing before wrapping them in bacon and grilling them. I know one thing for sure, the next time they will get some smoke before getting finished on the grill!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

renoman

Quote from: tailfeathers on March 22, 2014, 03:38:41 PM
Hey Brassarj, I have a suggestion for you. Instead of using toothpicks to secure the bacon, try pieces of uncooked spaghetti noodles. They cook along with the rest of the food so at the end you just pop your food in your mouth, no toothpick to worry about having to remove. It works very well. The only time I secure with toothpicks anymore is if I want to use the toothpick as a handle to pick up the food with.

tailfeathers, if that works it has to be the best tip I have heard of in a long long time.

River Rat

Brassarj, That is one fine looking hunk of meat! I did my first batch of ABT's last weekend and they turned out great. I placed a foil pan underneath them to catch all the bacon grease and any cheese that might have leaked out.  Made my clean up alot easier.
River Rat
"Smoke On"