• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Jalepeno & Cheese Elk Sausage

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, April 18, 2014, 06:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

This one turned out really well, I'm very pleased.  I got the elk from a local domestic farmer and he is interested in new sausage recipes if he deems them good.

I was very much worried about the cheese, as a new sausage maker I fretted about how the cheese would react.  I didn't have access to high temperature cheese so i searched for an alternative, this site's members helped a lot .  I settled on an imported Welsh cheese from Colliers called Powerful Welsh Cheddar.  If you're a wine drinker, this one is good for munching while enjoying a glass or two.

I used a Kutas recipe, it was very simple, few ingredients, but that's what I wanted to taste the elk and cheese.  The cheese held up great, no issues whatsoever, but I haven't heated one on the barbeque yet. I gave it 3 hours of apple smoke.  A very tasty sausage, one of my best yet..

Here's the mix with cheese and peppers

All done, here's a cut, cheese is good

Saber 4

Thompsoncentre

Look very good! Did you finish them in a hot bath?

cobra6223

Nice looking job. What's tame Elk run a pound? Thanks Tim

WoodlawnSmoker

Thanks guys, this one turned out well.  I heated one on the barbeque to eat warm and the cheese melted into the sausage.  This was expected and to be honest it was fine that way.  I think I am preferring to eat this one cold in slices with some cheese.

Yes, I finished them in a water bath @ 165 F until the IT was about 152 F.  The domestic elk was a bit expensive coming in at just under $8.00 per pound.  The farmer told me he would sell me some elk trimmings cheap but I would have to buy 25 kilograms.  Maybe in the future.  I'm going to give him a sample of this sausage just to get his reaction and maybe come to a deal.