• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sausage newbie

Started by tailfeathers, May 24, 2014, 07:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

Pretty sure it was ONE big hunk of meat when I cut it up.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

pjplovedog

Looks fabulous! 
On the texture issue- did you grind the sausage meat on the same die for both types of sausage?
Also, did you keep the meat on ice or in the icebox before grinding?  I dice my meat and then immediately put that batch into the freezer while I grind the next batch in 5 lb increments.  The very cold meat isn't frozen but it is slightly "crunchy" on the surface.  I think this helps the texture issue, but others may have other ideas for you here.
Yummy!
PJP

tailfeathers

PJPLD-
All the meat was semi-frozen when it was ground. The andouille went two passes through the grinder, the brats just once, but used the medium die for both. Actually, since my post about the texture I have heated and eaten a little of the andouille and the texture is better when it is cooked. I had tried some when it first came out of the smoker. Maybe it needed to be chilled and then re-heated? Anyway it seemed much improved. I had given a link to a co-worker to try, he said he thought the texture was fine, so maybe I'm ok after all. I do think I'll try to refrain from being so "poke happy" with the thermapen next time though. I was just worried about the dreaded fat out. Next go round the Maverick probe goes in the lowest link nearest the element and no one gets prodded until that sucker says 150F!

pjplovedog

Happy it all turned out well! 
I use my Maverick in the way you describe, inserted into the lowest link through the end.  If I have to I will also do one other "quality" temp check before I pull 'em out.  I've been fortunate, haven't ever had a fat-out. 
Now it's time for me to plan my next sausage project.  It's supposed to be dry this weekend, it could be a good plan! 
:)
PJPLD

tailfeathers

Quote from: pjplovedog on May 28, 2014, 01:34:38 PM
Happy it all turned out well! 
I use my Maverick in the way you describe, inserted into the lowest link through the end.  If I have to I will also do one other "quality" temp check before I pull 'em out.  I've been fortunate, haven't ever had a fat-out. 
Now it's time for me to plan my next sausage project.  It's supposed to be dry this weekend, it could be a good plan! 
:)
PJPLD
Let us know how it turns out for you!