• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking length

Started by newtennsmoker, July 26, 2014, 07:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newtennsmoker

Why does the Bradley smoker only go up to 9 hours of smoking time? I thought that "low and sloooooow" was the best way, especially on Boston butts which you may want to smoke for 12-14 hours? I'm new at this game and my cousin has a monster cast iron wood and charcoal smoker and he sometimes take 16 hours to smoke anywhere from 6-8 butts at a time. Is time basically based on the total lbs being smoked?  Thank you.

Quarlow

Actually I think the record for butts in a Bradley is somewhere around 34 hrs. I can't tell you why they only go 9 hrs but that is plenty of time to last overnight. You probably would never be away from it that long so you can easily just reset it. My last butt took 21 hrs so I reset it twice. No biggie. Low and slow is the way for sure and the best bark and flavor comes with time.
While weight can effect the amount of time in the beginning as it will take longer to get up to temp butt the real decider is the connective tissue in the meat. It takes time to break down the tissue and low and slow is the only way. You must be patient and wait it out. You will get a stale in temp drop around mmmmmm having trouble remembering I think it is 140 don't quote me. Someone will correct me. It can take quite awhile for it to start climbing again. Be patient and it will come out awesome.
Welcome to the forum. Any question s just ask.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Wildcat

I think there may be some confusion here. In a Bradley, due to the pure smoke it produces, you never need to go over 4 hours of applying smoke. To cook is another story. An example would be as follows: 9 lb butt for pulled pork. Set the cabinet temp somewhere between 200 and 225 F. Apply smoke for 4 hours and then continue to cook at same temp without smoke until done. Done will be between 175 and 190 F internal meat temp. You should utilize the fork test to determine when it is ready to pull. This process will take around 12 to 24 hours to fully cook a single butt of 9 pounds.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Indy Smoker

The digital oven heater will go 9 hours 40 minutes max time. For a long smoke such as butts you will need to reset the timer sometime before it runs out. Not that big a deal. Or you can invest in an Auber PID to get exactly what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quarlow

Quote from: Wildcat on July 26, 2014, 09:24:28 AM
I think there may be some confusion here. In a Bradley, due to the pure smoke it produces, you never need to go over 4 hours of applying smoke. To cook is another story. An example would be as follows: 9 lb butt for pulled pork. Set the cabinet temp somewhere between 200 and 225 F. Apply smoke for 4 hours and then continue to cook at same temp without smoke until done. Done will be between 175 and 190 F internal meat temp. You should utilize the fork test to determine when it is ready to pull. This process will take around 12 to 24 hours to fully cook a single butt of 9 pounds.
OOps I missed that statement. Very important. 24 hrs of smoke would be inedible. Good catch Wildcat.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.