• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Elk Sausage

Started by CKR, September 04, 2014, 12:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CKR

I have about 25lbs of Elk trimmings that I would like to try and turn to smoked Elk sausage.  Looking  for some input on some favorite recipes.  I prefer it on the spicy side.  Also would like to experiment with adding in Cheese.  Thanks

tailfeathers

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22024.msg266861#msg266861 Check this post, has lots of good sausage recipes. You could sub elk meat for most any recipe that calls for beef, you may need to add a bit more fat than the recipe calls for as beef will have a higher fat content than elk does.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Oh, and welcome aboard by the way!!!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tskeeter

Pikeman_95's (Kirby) summer sausage recipe is awesome.  Works well with elk.  It's nicely spicy with a good measure of mustard seed.  Was a big hit at the neighborhood BBQ about a month ago.  I used a 50/50 blend of pork shoulder and elk, then added a pound or so of pork fat (for a 15+ pound batch) that I had trimmed off some shoulders that I used for pulled pork and had frozen.  Since the fat was partially frozen yet, it ground up without greasing.

pikeman_95

If anyone wants that recipe they need to send me an email as I have it on an excel sheet that automatically recalculates the spice weights when you change the batch size. It sure helps when making different sized batches. My email is

[email protected]

I sure wish there were a way to attach a sheet to a post.

Kirby