• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Old Digital - Can I use the Auber with my older 4 rack Digital smoker?

Started by BBQ Bart, October 10, 2014, 11:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBQ Bart

Howdy fellow smokers,

I haven't been on this forum in many years, but decided to see what is new.

I've been seeing several threads regarding the use of the Auber PID for Bradley smokers.

I've only ever used the Maverick ET-73 with my digital smoker, and consistently see that the Maverick temp and the Smoker temp are often off
by 30-40 degrees (I assume that the Maverick is correct and the Bradley is wrong).

So, I'm curios about adding in the Auber - does it work with my Digital smoker, and how can it control the oven temp by adjusting the current to the smoker?

Wouldn't that impact the function of the smoke generator and the oven timer, etc?

One last question - are most folks still liking the Maverick ET-73 or is there a better meat thermometer w/remote that is now preferred?

Thanks!
SmokerBart

Habanero Smoker

Hi SmokerBart;

Welcome back.

You can hookup the PID to your digital smoker. The cabinet gets plugged directly into the pid, so the cycling on/off does not interfere with the functions of the generator, and you don't need to set the oven timer. It controls the oven temperature by cycling the heat off and on to maintain a accurate temperature control. The newer Maverick ET-733 is an improved upgrade on the ET-73. There are also remote thermometers that have Wi-Fi ability which you can monitor on your computer and/or smart phone; like the i-grill.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BBQ Bart

Thanks for the reply - A few more questions:

1) I see that there is a two probe version of the Auber. Would that eliminate the need for the Maverick? I suspect not as one of my main reasons for the maverick is the remote monitor I can keep inside to monitor progress.

2) Assuming that I still need a remote temp monitor, how does the new Maverick ET733 compare to my older ET-73? I see alot of negative comments about it on Amazon.

3) How good is the I-Grill that you also referenced? Is it accurate and has there been good reviews for it?

Thanks
Bart

Habanero Smoker

If you want a remote receiver, then the Auber PID will not provide those functions.

I can't tell you how the two compare with each other. I still have the ET-72, and when I use it if to monitor several cuts of meat, and not to monitor the cabinet temperature. I do not know the differences from experience but the below link compares the ET-72, ET-732 & the ET-733.
Maverick ET-73-ET-732-ET-733  Comparison

With the newer models it seem the probes are the weakest part of the unit. Make every effort to prevent moisture from entering where the wire enters the probe. Many, as well as myself have sealed those ends with a food safe high temp sealant; I used Permatex 81160 High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket. You can find it in most automotive stores, or on-line. Some reported Wal-Mart sell it in some of their stores. Also when you insert the food probe make sure the curved end is turned downward so when condensation collects on the wire, it will not flow down the wire and into the probe itself.

I don't have any experience with the I-Grill. There are several post on this forum about them. You may want to look at beefman's post Tappecue .

There are temperature controllers that will also allow you to control your cabinet and meat temperatures remotely through a Wi-Fi setup, and/or smartphone app. I have a Stoker and with that I can run and control my Onyx, WSM, and Bradley at the same time from my couch. :) For it to work with the Bradley you need the BBQ Guru Raptor, and a cable to run from the Stoker to the Raptor. BBQ Guru also makes a Wi-Fi temperature controller that can control your cook by a Wi-Fi connection; CyberQ WiFi; you will also need to purchase the BBQ Guru Raptor for it to work with your Bradley.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)