• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Had to try some bologna

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, December 08, 2014, 04:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

I just had to try it seeing some of the posts here, I probably haven't had any in nearly 30 years, my wife won't even have it in the house, "you don't know what's in there".  I used Kutas' recipe which seems similar to the main ones posted on here except it uses onion powder instead of garlic.

I decided to also try one of the novelty cases shaped like a football along with a normal chub.  I had planned to give it to my buddy for Christmas as he is a huge football and bologna fan.  The idea with the casing is that it forms the meat into a football shape complete with seams and laces.  All was going well until it split in the water-bath right before I was going to remove it, 154 F.  I was very pissed but he will like slices just as much.

The experience went pretty well, it tastes nice but I do think I'll add garlic next time.

Stuffed and ready for smoke

After 2 1/2 hours of smoke and waterbath to 155 F

Can't wait to fry some up

The bugger split on me

Case removed, neat idea, didn't quite work

WoodlawnSmoker

Just wanted to say that the taste of this bologna really came alive once fried and put in a sandwich with spicy mustard.

tskeeter

Fried bologna.  With peppers and onions!  Makes me think about all the great things I ate when I lived in Buffalo.