• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rival Roaster Oven Help

Started by JZ, December 09, 2014, 11:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I just bought a Rival 18 Qt roaster oven to use for water bathing sausages and gave it 2 trial runs and the results were not good. I think I'm doing something wrong, since almost all the reviews I have read on this forum and on Amazon are good. On both tries I used the roaster pan and partially filled it with water. The first try was about 1/2 full and the second was about 3/4 full. The first time I set the temp to 200 and the water only got up to 140 after 3 hrs. On the second attempt I set the temp to max and after 4 hrs the water temp was 150 as measured by the thermapen instant read. The outside got really hot. Too hot to touch, so I am thinking the water temp would get high enough if I used the roaster without the roaster pan but the owners manual says not to.

I know there are lots of members here that use these things and am wondering what others do. Help please.

watchdog56

You may have to stir the water around. I know on my roaster(not sure of brand right now) I stir the water and then check temp. The outside of the pan is hotter than the inside because the roaster has the heating element running around it. I also set water temp for 175 which takes an hour or so to get to temp but at 200 you will fat out your sausage.

Habanero Smoker

Are you using the cover? If not put the cover on. For better results use a half sheet pan and position it so a small area of one of the comers will be slightly open to allow some steam out. You should see a big improvement in temperature. As mentioned, if you are using it for either sous vide or poaching sausage you should stir the water.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JZ

Thanks for the replies. I am intending to use it for sausage. The reason I stated that the therm was set at 200 is to clarify that it was not set too low. I stirred frequently and left the lid on, except to check temp. I have sous vide supreme which I use for smaller batches or smaller sausages but want to use the Rival because of its bigger size.

Are you guys using the inner / removable pan?

cobra6223

I do keep the pan in the roaster, I also use the lid on it till it gets up to temp then I keep it off while sausage is in it. Was it brand new? could it be a dud? Keep us posted.

JZ

Thanks Cobra6223. It is brand new. I'm going to give it another try and if no joy then I'm taking it back to get another. I ended up doing this batch in the Sous Vide Supreme. Never thought of using it for this purpose but it worked great. Here are some pics of the finished product. Sorry about the color on the close up.

renoman

JZ your Sous Vide Supreme is definitely the way to go to finish off your sausages. Once you feel they have had enough smoke just put em in there. You will never risk a fat out that way.

JZ

Quote from: renoman on December 10, 2014, 05:58:20 AM
JZ your Sous Vide Supreme is definitely the way to go to finish off your sausages. Once you feel they have had enough smoke just put em in there. You will never risk a fat out that way.

I agree. After using it I realized how great it is for that use. Just set the temp and not have to worry about it going over. I managed to get all 10 lbs in it too. I originally set the temp to 160 but soon found some of the sausages were at 158. Next time I will set the sous vide to 152.

I still want to use the Rival for bigger / longer chubs or bigger batches. Gonna have to get it working right.

Habanero Smoker

I have a Rival 22qt, and use my Stoker to control the temperature, and it maintains very accurate temperatures. Future plan is to add a circulator to help even out the temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: JZ on December 10, 2014, 08:07:59 AM

I agree. After using it I realized how great it is for that use. Just set the temp and not have to worry about it going over. I managed to get all 10 lbs in it too. I originally set the temp to 160 but soon found some of the sausages were at 158. Next time I will set the sous vide to 152.

I still want to use the Rival for bigger / longer chubs or bigger batches. Gonna have to get it working right.

I know it would add to equipment costs, but Anova Cullinary ferquently runs specials on it sous vide heater/circulator for $150. They will clamp on the side of a standard pot, so you don't need a complete unit and by all reports are very accurate temp. wise. The unit I have will maintain temp. on 6 gals. of H2O. I bought it to finish of sausages, but have only made fresh sausage since I bought it so haven't used it yet. Soon though, very soon.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tailfeathers

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on December 10, 2014, 04:50:32 PM
Quote from: JZ on December 10, 2014, 08:07:59 AM

I know it would add to equipment costs, but Anova Cullinary ferquently runs specials on it sous vide heater/circulator for $150. They will clamp on the side of a standard pot, so you don't need a complete unit and by all reports are very accurate temp. wise. The unit I have will maintain temp. on 6 gals. of H2O. I bought it to finish of sausages, but have only made fresh sausage since I bought it so haven't used it yet. Soon though, very soon.
x2[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

cobra6223

Well sorry I don't get on here much anymore so I kind of get behind the times, So first those sausages look very good and your very welcome JZ. Next question is what the heck is a stoker ! I'm not sure about the $150 for the sous I may opt to keep using the roaster and spend the cash on a good thermometer.

drano

I've used my 22 qt Rival several times for summer sausage, and works well for me.  Yes, the outside of the cooker gets quite warm while its at full power heating up the water. 

Here's my process:
-Put sausage in smoker.
-Fill Rival cooker about 1/2 full with water.
-Set temp to about 300 degrees.
-As water temp hits 160 degrees, turn dial down to maintain it (I marked the dial for where to set it). 
-Let Rival maintain its temp for a couple hours to stabilize (and fine tune temp dial)--this occurs while sausage is in smoker.
-Put sausage in Rival.
-Have hot and cold water available to pour in if I need to change temp quicker than cooker can do it.

Its best to do a test run with the Rival so you know how to get it stabilized at your desired temp without the pressure of having a batch of sausage in the smoker.

dave01

Hi, just so I get this right, when using the Sous Vide Supreme you just put the sausage in the water, Not in plastic bags and then in the water, Right?