Hello from Lorette, Manitoba Canada

Started by Blizzard_101, December 11, 2014, 06:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard_101

I am very new to smoking, so new that I don't even have a smoker yet, not anymore anyway! I have been involved with making smokers for over 10 years and gave up MINE to another customer; note this was a totally non profit adventure with a great friend of mine who smokes some of the best meats I have ever tasted although there is one exception; while camping in Lake Bronson MN, a friendly MN camper was smoking meat in the campsite and gifted a full, freshly smoked rack of pork ribs and a loin to me and my family; they were amazing! He smoked them in what could have been a Bradley smoker, I am not sure, but it was, barr non, the best pork I have ever eaten. I don't know the recipe, if any as he said he was using a "piece of oak".  In any event I am hooked on the taste and need to do some of my own smoking, just need to find a good quality, portable but not too small smoker. Any suggestions???

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska!  I recommend a New Bradley Original Smoker (BS611).  That's what I plan to purchase when my "old" Original Bradley Smoker goes to its final reward.  I've had it now for 6 years.  Still going strong.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Blizzard_101;

Welcome to the forum.

The fact that he stated he used a piece of oak, leads me to believe it may not have been a Bradley. Bradley uses bisquettes, and if he was using a Bradley the common term/slang would have been he was using oak pucks. Having said that, I have a few charcoal cookers, and the best pulled pork comes from my Bradley, using pecan.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Blizzard_101

Thanks for the welcome. Two very nice smokers; the 712 looks great for a very portable unit, however I would have to buy another one as I often make my own sausage and would need room for at least 20 lbs. of meet which wouldn't fit into the 712. The BS 611 looks like it may be the perfect unit although obviously bigger to haul around (trying to get the best of both worlds). The unit I was talking about from MN was obviously not a Bradley as this guy was definetly using a "piece of oak". I saw a piece of it, it was a small 12" oak branch that he had retrieved out of the bush and I don't know if he shaved it or not but it was no bisguette.  Now these bisguettes, for about  $20.00, you get  24 of them; how much meet can you smoke with that? Has anyone made their own bisquettes or can you use other things like wood chips? I am sure my answers are somewhere on this site, however time is limiting me at this time. Any input at this time is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TedEbear

Quote from: Blizzard_101 on December 12, 2014, 07:19:04 AMNow these bisguettes, for about  $20.00, you get  24 of them; how much meet can you smoke with that? Has anyone made their own bisquettes or can you use other things like wood chips?

A puck gets cycled through every 20 minutes, so 3 per hour.  Most people apply smoke for 2-4 hours, depending on their preference.  If you buy the 120 pack they are usually less expensive per puck.  For instance, right now Amazon has the 120 pack of apple flavor pucks for $35.99 USD.  That's around 30-cents a puck.

Send me a PM for more options if you're interested.

dave01

hello and welcome to the forum from sunny Luzon

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.