• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Not getting up to temperature

Started by mjsheehy, December 31, 2015, 12:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjsheehy

I got my Bradley Smoker 4 rack digital model for Christmas...using it now for the second time and it WILL NOT get above 190 degrees.  Sure it's cold out...it's about 40 degrees but the whole reason I went with an electric smoker is so I can use it year round.  If I cant get it up to temperature year round in New England it's a complete wast to me.

Anyone else having a similar problem.

VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

DJSmoke

Only thing I can say is low outside temperatures are a killer...make sure wind is not coming right across the top...it will suck the heat out.
Also, measure temp with more than just what the Bradley says....I currently have mine going right now, it's about 35 out, and Bradley says 185, other thermometer says 220.....so I would watch temps two ways...Oh and be patient, it will come :)

watchdog56

Make sure your vent is wide open. Moist air in the chamber caused from the food cooking will keep it cooler in the smoker. I run my vent wide open all the time. I k now it sounds weird but believe me it works. And as DJ said try to keep it out of the wind. Also depending on how much meat you put in there will make a difference as to how long to get up to temp. Make sure you put BOILING water in your water pan.

cathouse willy

The best way get your smoker temps up in cold weather is to wrap it in a hot water heater blanket and keep it in garden shed. I.ve got mine in a small plastic shed. like this one.
http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/shop-products/outdoor-living/vertical-sheds/vertical-storage-shed
I've not done any mods to the element or added a fan and it works well all year long.Do a search of this site for adding a larger heating element, the stock element is only 500w

beefmann

also be sure all of your cables are firmly seated,,, some times they do work loose and will not get up to temp as well,... others have good points as well

Habanero Smoker

I'm from New York, and when I had only the single element, I could obtain cabinet temperatures in the low 200°F range, when the ambient temperatures were in the 20's. In the winter, I would modify my cooking techniques. I would allow additional time for preheating, and preheat it as hot as I could get it. I also would smoke smaller loads, such as smoking only 2 racks instead of 4.

My Bradley sits on the back deck which is not enclosed. As mentioned wind will prevent the heat from building up in the cabinet. You should not only prevent wind from coming down the top vent, but also prevent wind from entering through the side vents on the generator. When you block the side vents make sure you leave about a 4" clearance.

Also opening the door too often will drop the cabinet temperature, and in the winter the recovery times are much longer.

If you have your vent wide open, try closing it a bit, and check to see if your cabinet temperature either goes up or down. It the temperature goes up, that is a plus, if you see it drop, then reset it to wide open. I generally set my vent to 1/2 to 3/4 open. If you have it too closed, try opening it to around 1/2 open, and monitor the temperature to see if it will go up. If it goes up, try opening it to 3/4 or to full. You only need the vent open enough so that condensation does not form inside the cabinet. It is a simple test, and only takes a few minutes to see results.

If you are using the Bradley cabinet thermometer, they are not generally accurate when you are smoking foods. Most of us purchase a digital probe thermometer to measure the heat just below the bottom rack. If you Bradley thermometer is displaying 190°F, then the heat at the bottom tray is over 200°F. Since the heat is not equally distributed throughout the cabinet it is important to rotate the trays 180°, and from top to bottom, during the cooking time.

Some use hot water in the drip bowl at the beginning of the cook, and replenish the bowl with hot water. I don't do that simply, because I don't want to be handling scolding hot water.

The below link should provide more information to improve your cabinet temperatures, along with other tips:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

takem01

Are you using a long extension cord?  Voltage drop in a long extension could keep the heating element from heating properly.