Meat Slicers

Started by dick621, September 15, 2006, 07:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dick621

I'm looking for an electric meat slicer, and am looking for suggestions and ideas from all you guys and gals.  I don't want to go overkill on price or size, but on the other hand I don't want to regret going to cheap or to small.   Thanks for aqny and all advice you can share.
                                    Dick
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

KARENCOOKS

Good question, wish I had asked before I bought mine. Take note of the biggest piece of meat you will slice, slab bacon anyone? Its at lease 12" across the slicing end, and won't fit! I had to trim about 3" off one side so I can slice it. It will still work Ok but the slices are not a impressive as they would be whole. For dicing up and lardons its OK but .... 

ok, I'll stop whining now

3rensho

I ended up with a Graef 188 which is a good size for my home use.  I couldn't afford/justify a commercial unit.  In my search for a slicer one of my main criteria was that it have a space large enough to fit a smoked pork belly and this one handles it nicely (at least for the size of pigs raised in my neck of the woods).  Many do not.  I also use it for cold cuts that I make and have never had a problem with it.

Tom 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

winemakers

Here is a link to the same topic from not to long ago.  Some good suggestions.

mld

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3430.0

Chez Bubba

I hear the Bobbitt Model 1993 is pretty efficient. ;D :o :'(

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

If you are going to smoke cheeze and what to slice it keep in mind the horse power of the unit you purchase.  It take more to slice cheeze then meat.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

dick621

CHEZ,  I'm hoping the Bobbit model was one of a kind.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

BigSmoker

Cabellas usually has a decent selection if you order via internet.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Chez Bubba on September 15, 2006, 05:48:42 PM
I hear the Bobbitt Model 1993 is pretty efficient. ;D :o :'(

Kirk

I heard it was only good for tube steak. :-[

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bassman

I have a Deni. it was about $100 and works really well. I'm very happy with it.
Jack

whitetailfan

We have a Rival.  Stainless blade, easy tear down and clean.  Make sure it comes apart to clean because you can't imagine where little bits of meat will find there way to and you can't reach it to clean it out.

Ours will open to a quoted 3/4 inch, but its more like a full inch in practice.  Works awesome for slicing smoked porkchops off of a full loin after processing.

Good luck.  You should be able to get something decent under $200 easily, just not deli quality, but fine for home use.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

dick621

Thanks to all.
  I went to the Grand Opening of the Cabelas store in Boise, Idaho and picked up their heavy duty meat slicer.  Sliced two bottom round roasts, one for jerky and one for my dog.  Did a pretty fair job.  I think it will serve my needs ok.
Dick
Dick in Emmett, Idaho