• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Is my Heat Indicator light operating properly??

Started by Tim S, September 09, 2006, 08:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim S

Hello to All,
I am in the process of seasoning my new smoker and noticed the heat indicator light is controlled by the heat control switch. The further to the right I slide the switch the brighter the light glows. Is this the correct mode of operation for this light.   
My first smoke with the Bradley will be some wings that I brined using a brine recipe from susanminor.org. Thanks to all for the advice.

Tim :)
Tim S

bubbagump

Quote from: Tim S on September 09, 2006, 08:53:57 AM
I am in the process of seasoning my new smoker and noticed the heat indicator light is controlled by the heat control switch. The further to the right I slide the switch the brighter the light glows. Is this the correct mode of operation for this light.

Hi Tim,

Yes, that is exactly what it should do.

Bubbagump

Tim S

Thanks Bubbagump. Any advice on smoking chicken wings?? How long should it take to smoke 4.5 pounds of them and what is a good temp to set the smoker at??

Tim
Tim S

bubbagump

Good question, but I can't help you that one. I've never done them. Ironically, though, I was just talking to my neighbor the other day and mentioned that I'd like to try doing a smoker full of wings.

I know Habanero Smoker has a recipe over on the recipe site for wings. I'm sure others will chime in to get you (and me too) the info you need.

Bubbagump

Habanero Smoker

I smoke mine at 225°F. To test if they are done, poke several of them at different locations of the tray. If the juices run clear they are done. I would like to help you on the time, but every time I smoke them, the times vary a great deal, because some times I smoke "fresh" wings (seems to cook the fastest), and other times I will smoke the frozen ones (thawing them first, of course). A general guideline for me, is once the cabinet gets back up to 225°F, I check them for doness about 90 minutes after that. With wings I also throw them on the grill after they are done in the smoker. Remember to keep your vent half open to allow the moisture to escape.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tim S

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 09, 2006, 03:15:29 PM
I smoke mine at 225°F. To test if they are done, poke several of them at different locations of the tray. If the juices run clear they are done. I would like to help you on the time, but every time I smoke them, the times vary a great deal, because some times I smoke "fresh" wings (seems to cook the fastest), and other times I will smoke the frozen ones (thawing them first, of course). A general guideline for me, is once the cabinet gets back up to 225°F, I check them for doness about 90 minutes after that. With wings I also throw them on the grill after they are done in the smoker. Remember to keep your vent half open to allow the moisture to escape.

Do you use smoke the entire time the wings are in the Bradley??
Tim S

jcjrsmith

I was wondering the same thing about the light on mine.  I am seasoning mine as I type this, having picked it up from the local Bass Pro Shops this afternoon.
Jerry
Mechanicsburg, PA

Can't Sleep - Clown Will Eat Me

iceman

Quote from: jcjrsmith on September 09, 2006, 04:42:55 PM
I was wondering the same thing about the light on mine.  I am seasoning mine as I type this, having picked it up from the local Bass Pro Shops this afternoon.
Yep. Normal operation going on there. Higher the slider, brighter the light. Welcome to the forum jcj. :)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tim S on September 09, 2006, 04:15:18 PM

Do you use smoke the entire time the wings are in the Bradley??

For wings I only apply 2 hours of smoke. I generally have used hickory, but lately I've been using maple a lot.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)