Can't get the temp up?

Started by meathead, November 04, 2006, 12:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meathead

Hello. This is my 1st post and I just got the BS. I love it so far. I live in a cold climate and have had a hard time getting the Temp of the BS over 190 Deg F. I've got the Rheostat about 95 % of full scale and max temp is 190.

Is this because of the 32 Deg air that is drawn in during the smoking stage? Note I've inserted an electronic probe and its temp reads the same as the thermometer on the door, so I think it's accurate. Also I keep the vent about 25-50 % open.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Thanks very much!!
Git r Dun...

terryrichards

las tnight was my first smoke outside temp was 25-29 w/ 15mph wind and I had to go full right on the tempto get 200f

TR

car54

How much meat was in the smoker? If you have a large quanity, it take a while to get hotter.

Brad

robs

Meathead - I too have trouble getting it up. Even when I give it everything I got. :-\

Wind is your biggest enemy. I put my bs about a foot into the garage, leave the door open, and unplug the door opener. This seems to help quite a bit.

meathead

:) Wow. Lots of quick replys.

I had 2 rack mostly full, so I'd say it was only half loaded. Not too much wind, but maybe it doent take much. I'll try blocking it from the wind a little more.

Not sure how it will work when its -20 out. I'll find a way however, even if I have to pipe warm air from the house to the generator

Thanks all!
Git r Dun...

Habanero Smoker

I never tried smoking anything with the ambient temperature 25°F. I've smoked during the winter months in the mid-twenty's to around 35°F, and usually I can get the smoker up to about 210°F, but rarely will I smoke over 200°F any way. Stating that you had two trays full does not provide enough information. There is a big difference between two trays of ribs, or two trays of butts, or two trays of chicken etc. They all have their particular demand on the system.

I would crank the slider all the way to the right, as far as it will go, and keep the smoke generator on. Depending on what you are smoking, close the vent to 1/4 opening or less after 4 hours of smoking/cooking. If you smoking poultry with skin on, or a lot of meat you may not have that option, because too much moisture will still be released inside the cabinet, and you may need to keep the vent open wider.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

coyote

Welcome aboard Meathead,
                         All the folks have brought up good points. One more thing,
before you load your BS bring your meat up to room temp. If it's strait out of the
fridge it can take the heat right out of your smoker.
Let the smoke roll,
                 Coyote

tooljunkie3j

Hi- I am new to the BS also-Digital 6. I had temp problems and got some pointers from Bradley tech staff. They have had a run of the "V" trays with louvers too tight. Take a thickish standard screwdriver, slide into the louver to raise the edge - slide the screwdriver back and forth- open up all of them. I did it -they were talking pliers but the driver was controllable. Pre heat as well as letting meat temp come up. Open vent- lets moisture out-excess moisture is a "steam heat sink" in there-learn as you go when to adjust tighter. An old hunting buddy's chant as we sought pheasants in Iowa in depth of winter " I hate the wind and the wind hates me!"
      Brian was the guy who I talked to- I told him of my plans to build the double-walled, close fitting insulated box- he suggested some space that would allow a couple of light bulbs to be wired into the box to supplement as needed- that has gone into my drawings, with a dimmer switch for control- waterheater blanket or two wrapped around the smoker is quick and fairly cheap.
      My call was prompted by a full load about 7 pounds of meats and temp never going above 214* on a 60* degree with no wind with temp set at 260* trying to bring it up to 220*. The unit was talking to me I guess- "Hey rookie, 214* is enough, be patient!" So I left it until my probe in the 3 pound pork tenderloin roast was telling me 170* internal. Everything came out perfectly done.
       All of this stuff has been suggested by the vets here, excepth the louver tip so no credit taken here. Thought my new guy situation and perspective might be helpful to others like me. Regards to all, MT

Gizmo

Great Info Tool.  I'll have to check the spacing on mine.  Last time I scrubbed the V tray down I had to put some pressure to it to get the good stuff off.  Now thinking about it, I don't remember if I looked to see if any of the gaps tightened up.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/