• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking a young pig

Started by ShelleyD, November 11, 2006, 08:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShelleyD

My 8 year old nephew, on his first hunting trip managed to shoot a very young wild boar. It was a trip to see my brother's grandson after his first kill.... Talk about excited. My brother was beside him and totally supervised the hunt.

I quartered the little pig which weighed about 40 or 50 pounds live weight and soaked it in ice/ salty water for a couple of days because that's what the local folks all say to do. Now me and my Bradly are in charge of cooking it for the family. We'll eat it about 2:00PM Sunday (tomorrow). I'd really appreciate all advice especially how long the cooking will take so I get the pork in the cooker at about the right time. I kinda assume that the ribs will go faster than the hams.

I built and installed a PID on my smoker but have yet to install a circulating fan. The little hams weigh about 3.5 pounds each and are about 3" thick at the thickest point. The shoulders weigh about 3.5 pounds each and are about 2" thick at the thickest point. The ribs are just pretty dang small and thin. I also have the backbone with the tenderloins still attached inside and the backstrap on the outside.

Help, I sure would hate to screw this up.

Wildcat

Sorry, but I can't help much on this one, but I'm sure someone will chime in that can.

My congradulations to the little man.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

jaeger

ShellyD,
I would allow for 6 hours on the hams and shoulder plus 1 1/2 - 2 hours FTC. I would give the ribs 4 hours plus the FTC.
Use your internal temp probe and if you think you are behind schedule, put what you are concerned about (shoulders?) in a covered roaster with a little water @ 250f preheated oven. You will still get a good smoke and should be able to plan pretty close on chow time.
Congrats on the kill!!!