• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Fillet knife

Started by Dalby Spook, May 27, 2007, 10:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

Hi Folks,

Any one out there know of a good quality fillet knife maker/supplier? Seen a couple on eBay by Knives Alaska and Grohman  which look good for about $40.

Cheers
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

iceman

You might want to PM Kummok. He's fileted more fish than most will ever see in a life time. He would probably be able to steer you right. ;)

Kummok

ThanX for the plug, Ice....I think?!?!? Recommending knives is as risky as recommending power tools. Although, with power tools the idea is to buy them ALL!  ;)  Every fish wacker has a different idea of the "perfect blade"

I can't say what's gonna work best for you Spook, nor what is readily available for purchase there. But here's what I use, in the order of most common use. First and foremost I use the Victorinox Forschner (Fibrox) more than anything else. I might add that this is the one I use "outside", e.g. in the boat or at the fishing cleaning stations down at the harbor. The size/shape will vary, depending upon the size of fish, but mostly I use the 7 or 8 inch straight blade for salmon. Inside the house, I like the Wusthof but it's too expensive to take it out on the boat  :o

I use the Dexter - Russell for halibut....seems to be a little stiffer for the coarser meat......

Again, this is just what I use and, other than the Wusthof, they are easily obtained in our area in a wide variety of lengthes, shapes, flexibility. One of the things I look for is ease of keeping sharp while up to your elbows in fish waiting to be processed. The more expensive knives tend to take a little more to sharpen but keep the edge longer. I keep the sharpening steel handy on the fish table and use it frequently........

Dalby Spook

Thanks Kummok,

Checked the web sites. Bewildering choice. More confused than ever! I think I'm going to try local cos I like to feel how a knife feels in the hand if you know what I mean. Been using a cheap & cheerfull one. OK for trout but damned near took a finger off doing an 9lb Pollock the other day. Not sharp enough and too thin & bendy. Pretty sure I can get Victorinox in town. I've seen Global & Kasumi there but savagely expensive.

cheers.
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

manxman

Hi DS, I use J.MARTTIINI knives from Finland and find them pretty good for the price. Not too expensive and available in town from Nod's for Rod's or whatever it is called now.

Wooden handles, nice comfortable grip and value for money. Don't float tho as I found out last year!! :-[
Manxman