• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

first pork butt

Started by mdhunter, December 19, 2006, 10:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdhunter

Hello everyone,
I just got an original BS for Christmas from the girlfriend and had to open it early.  Anyways, Im doing my first pork butt today and was wondering how long you had to smoke it with the biscuits generating smoke.  Do you keep them going as long as you are cooking, do you stop them after 4 hours and then just get the temp. up to what it needs to be?  I am looking for some advice.  Thanks.

MallardWacker

Hunter of MUD,

Use only four hours, anything after that is a waste of a good puck.  Get that puppy to a internal if 185-187, pull it and do the FTC shuffle.  Double wrap in foil, wrap in a couple old towels then place in a (non-cooled) cooler for a couple hours.  Remember you internal will hang in the 160's to the low 170's for sometimes quite awhile...don't worry just and on and you will be rewarded.

HTH and WELCOME Mud Man, don't make your self a stranger around here.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

ceeuawlsune

Welcome to the forum.  I'll be first to warn you that you want to be careful with your BS - it can prove dangerous to relationships, bank accounts, neighborhood security & any local game/livestock/produce. 

I got my BS not too long ago and I've been doing quite a bit of pork already.  I've found that I like going with 5 hours of smoke (usually something like Cherry:Hickory or Cherry:Pecan, 1hr:1hr:1hr, etc for 5 hours).  Then I let her rip at about 210 until IT of 195.  Depending on size of pork shoulder, should take an additional 12+ hours.  I usually FTC for 2-6 hours after that, total time from into smoker-to-plate: +/- 24 hours.  That figure doesn't include preheat time or marinating time, or rub time, or brine time.

FYI: Chicken legs are GREAT for beginners (like me and you)...about 3 hrs total with smoke whole time until IT 165...you won't get better chicken.  You should FTC for about 30 minutes-2 hours, too.  I find that they're one of the best things I've done in my BS to date (I have the last half of my 16-leg experiment coming out of the smoker in about 15 minutes...FTC until dinner).  See my post about Eight Less Chickens to get the entire scoop. 

Wildcat

mdhunter,

Welcome to the forum.  When in doubt about how long to smoke, go conservative on first time and increase if not enough smoke flavor.  Some people get turned off by toooooo much smoke.  I agree with MW on the four hour issue.  Keep us posted and try to take pictures during the process.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smudge

I would counsel that we don't automatically think the missing vowel in mdhunter is a "u".

It could be madhunter. He could be pretty upset about something.

It could be medhunter. Maybe he's working on his doctorate.

Midhunter. He hunts somewhere between September and December.

Or modhunter. He may be the hippest guy on this forum.

But mudhunter is the best.

MallardWacker

MAN I AM SO SORRY>>>>MDDDDDDDDHUNTER...me had bad brain FART of the HIGHEST ORDER!

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

ceeuawlsune

tsquared

If it's modhunter, we'd better warn Chez!
T2

mdhunter

Nope,
Its MDhunter....i will graduate from medical school next year and i also enjoy hunting.....but thanks for all the advice.

West Coast Kansan

I guess Smudge wins then. 

MDHunter, welcome again and dont be a stranger.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

iceman

Welcome mdhunter. Just remember the medical profession has not yet issued a warning for the Bradley Smoker ie. This unit may cause consumption of extra adult beverages, excessive time to finish honey do lists, second mortgages to the butcher shop and in some cases swolled head and non stop bragging. ;) :D ;D At any rate hope you enjoy!!! Have a good time here and keep us posted.