• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking Wild Ducks

Started by chief, December 18, 2006, 06:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chief

Calling Mallard Whacker and any other duck hunters out there......got some beautiful whole greenheads and wanted to try smoking them.  Got any input or recipes?  This will be a good test run and may include some meat in a gumbo if all turns out o.k.

Smudge

I'm sure the esteemed Teal Terminator will be along to share some fowl ideas with you. I've never prepared duck via the BS, so take my input for what it's worth.

I would strongly consider brining the ducks. I've become an advocate of the brining process in that it provides an accent--a solid bass note--to your meat which cannot be attained by any other method.

A typical brine starts with one cup of canning salt to one gallon of water. Various spices can be added from there. It is a surprisingly short procedure as well: 30 minutes may be adequate for the fluid exchange for a duck breast. Rinse well and then prepare your ducks with any recipes that follow.

I would think many of the various chicken breast recipes could adapt nicely to duck. I could see apple being a nice selection for the wood.

Best of luck with your greenheads.

winemakers

I've done breasts as many times as I have ducks.  None yet from this years crop >:(

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274

mld

iceman

I agree with smudge. Here Wacker Wacker. He be the one to talk to. Where are you MW?

MallardWacker

The first half of the season has been freek'n great, over 210 birds have made it over to the promise land...and I was glad to assist them.....Pics soon.

Now about smoking duck breasts....duck breast is as duck breast does.  Even after smoking they still taste the same...the only thing it does add some well needed flavor.  If you like Duck, then smoking is great but if you are looking for something to make them more tolerable...smoking them doesn't help...HOWEVER the link above is a great place to start and they will be something different...best thing to do is DO NOT OVER COOK THEM, PERIOD.  I am sorry that I could not give you some romantic recipe...duck breasts...it's not going to happen.  Hope this helps.

How about some pics on how your season has been going.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

chief

Whacker...sorry for delay in response.... I've been on the road with work.  My season has been very brief....was up in your neck of the woods Thanksgiving.....very spotty, but managed one great hunt with a clean limit of greenheads.  Heading back up after Christmas and after New Years....hoping the weather cranks up and pushes some more birds south.

Wine.....looks like an interesting recipe....will give it a try.  Thanks ;D

Gizmo

Been a while since I dropped a triple within 15 feet of me, but in the day, bacon wrapped was one of the most pleasing adaptations I made with duck.  Wasn't in the day of bradley but was on a grill with wood chips.  Over cooking is definatly not an option unless pate is your goal.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

MallardWacker

Quote from: Gizmo on December 21, 2006, 09:17:44 PM
Been a while since I dropped a triple within 15 feet of me.....
As much as have hunted that has never happened to me but however three weekends ago and did take two with one shot...stone dead.

Quote from: Gizmo on December 21, 2006, 09:17:44 PM
but in the day, bacon wrapped was one of the most pleasing adaptations .....
That seems to be the old stand by and probably my favorite...especially Teal breasts...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

iceman

The only triple I dropped was within a arms reach and it sure wasn't something with feathers on it. HIC!!! :o ;D But it sure went down smoooooooth! ;) Happy holidays all!!!! Please be careful on the roads and watch out for the idiots. Ann and I wish all of you the best for the new year.  :)

Gizmo

I would like to take the credit for being an excellent marksman and all but it was more a product of the environment.  Heavy fog with about 25 yards visibility.  Heard the buffleheads come off the lake and flared just in front of the blind.  Took one just to the right of my partner.  THe other two flared to the left so I had to swing over my partner and took the second one right above us on our left.  The last bird wondering where the other two went, flared around in back of me and ended up in about the same position as the second when I dropped it.  The funny thing was by the time all was said and done, my partner didn't even have time to pick up his shotgun.  Boy did I get some mileage out of that one.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

chief

O.K. Whacker and all other duckers....here's my report on my first "Bradley Greenheads".

I took two whole mallards that were completely plucked.  I injected the breasts w/ Cajun Injector's Creole Butter and also basted the outside with the spillage and added some seasoning.  I placed both of them breast up on a rack and covered them with bacon strips from end to end.  Cooked 4 hours @ 205 w/ 3 1/2 hours of pecan/hickory smoke......reached internal of 168 and then FTC'd for 3 more hours.

They were proudly(nervously) displayed at a Christmas Eve gathering......and as you would say "they were freaken awesome"!!!  Even people that didn't care for duck said they were great!  Only problem was that I didn't do enough of them because it was an experiment.

Anyway...you may want to give it a try.  I'm headed up your way tomorrow...looking to bust some caps!

iceman

Man o man chief, that sounds soooo good. Glad it worked out. I can only get farm raised frozen ducks right now up here. Do you think it would be worth trying them?

chief

Iceman....sorry for the delay in response.....I've been back up to Whacker's area chasing some more mallards.  I would definately try that recipe on farm-raised ducks.  The truth be known, they will probably be even better because of being grain fed and fat! ;)  Let me know how it goes.

iceman

Thanks chief. I'll try it and let you know how it turns out.