• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Huns

Started by batt44, January 06, 2007, 04:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batt44

Smoked 5 of em up today.  Brined them overnight and used applewood for the process.

Question though, the dark meat was primo, but the white was dry.  This is the first time Ive use the smoker, any ideas on how to even the birds out.  Thanks.

Oldman

OK~! I give up.

1.) What is a "Smoked Huns" (?)
2.) What was your box temp?
3.) How long did you apply the smoke?
4.) How long did you cook the "Huns?"

From that we can help you with the white meat.   ;D :D

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

OK~~! Just funning with ya.

I guess a Hun is yard bird, and not Nuns of an alternate live style.  Please do answer the questions and also how big where each of the "Huns?"

LMSO~~!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

The best way to get breast meat that is not dried out is to smoke the breast and dark meat in separate trays. Take the white meat out when it gets to 150°F-155°F, and the dark meat at 160°F-165°F.

What was your brine recipe, and how long did you brine them for? You may not have brined them long enough, and/or you did not have enough salt in the brine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

batt44

Sorry, not enough info.

Huns are Hungarian Partridge, about the size of a grouse.

I use a chicken recipe I searched out here.  For the brine I used a gallon of water, a  half cup of kosher salt and a half cup of brown sugar with various spices thrown in.  Brined them for about 18 hours.

Smoked them for 1.5 hours at 200 then another 1.5 hours just at 200.  I put the thermometer in the breast and let it hit 160, thats probably the problem right there.  Ill pull them next time at 150.  Thanks for the tips.

Habanero Smoker

I've used a similar brine and have had good results keeping the white meat moist. For cornish hens I would brine 10 hours, for chickens up 4 pounds I would go 24 hours.

I am not familiar with Huns, but game birds you have other issues than with domestic birds. They are much leaner and the dark meat is much tougher. If you pull them out when the breast reaches 150°F, the dark meat is not going to be done and is still going to be tough, stringy and slimy.

I would do a search on the board (as poor as the search engine is). I believe you may find more information on smoking game birds. Their are also many sportsmen on this board, I'm sure they will be adding advise once they see your post.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)