• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rookie looking for a good butt recipe

Started by Smokin Okie, January 04, 2007, 03:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Okie

Just got my BS for Christmas and have been reading all of the Veterans advice on smoking.  I am looking for some good recipes and any other advice on butts.  ;D

iceman

Quote from: Smokin Okie on January 04, 2007, 03:54:12 PM
Just got my BS for Christmas and have been reading all of the Veterans advice on smoking.  I am looking for some good recipes and any other advice on butts.  ;D
Go to members profiles and look under icerats latest posts. He has a pretty good recipe IMO. Alot of folks here have damn good recipes for pulled pork so hang tight and they will chime in in time. Have fun. :)

Malc

I think it is hard to make a bad butt.  Rub with flavors you like and follow the advice here and you will be happy.  One suggestion: use the apple juice spray and a little before you FTC.  I have done it both ways, with and without.  It definitely improves the end result.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Wildcat

Welcome.  Iceman and Malc said it all.  The recipes are here.  If you have something in particular in mind and can't find it just ask and someone will help.  I suggest you start with something fairly easy the first time or two, i.e. chicken, ribs, butts.  Remember to be patient.  The BS is designed to cook slow and it will take longer than grill type smokers, but the results are better except for steaks which require higher heat.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Okie

sgaberdeen

Check out Olds rub recipie. I used it the other day and found it very good. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Here's the link http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137&highlight=brisket+rub

Gizmo

Congrats on the purchase and finding the best resource to help you on your way.  There recipes are boundless on Old's sites and hints and techniques here as well. 

You'll notice that a lot of the rubs share a pretty common set of ingredients and then the rest are little tweeks to make it a little more special.  I like to take the recipes, try them and them make adjustments.  I also pre-make some of the basic ingredients and then before applying, select the tweeks as I go, that way, you get a little something different each time.  Only down side is if you find the "magic" combination that is to dye for and you didn't write it down, you'll get lots of frowns the next time around.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

For butts I've tried a few rubs, but for me nothing beats the old standard "The Renowned Mister Brown" rub.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Malc

Quote from: Smokin Okie on January 04, 2007, 05:12:50 PM
I am looking for a good rub recipe
The one Hab posted is a great one.  Simple and flavorful.  I also like the salt to sugar ratio in it.  I have found that a few of the recipes in Smoke and Spice are a little too salty, but I guesss that is preference.  This one is not.  I also like the KC Rib Rub from that book.  One piece of advice on salt content.  If you are using standard table salt as opposed to Kosher or sea salt make sure to cut the amount considerably.  The smaller crystal size means you would be using a much greater concentration of salt than a particular recipe calls for.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Wildcat

I utilize rubs on occasion, but most of the time I simply apply salt and pepper and let the meat and smoke do its own thing on bringing out their natural flavors.  When I FTC, and sometimes while cooking, I will spray a little apple juice to keep the outer layer moist.  Try this sometime so that you will know how it basically should taste, then add other ingrediants that you think may go well with it. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

icerat4

Pulled Pork Ingredients

7-8 lbs. Boston Butt – bone-in

1 Large Bottle Yellow Mustard

2 Bottles of Grill Mates Pork Rub

1 Bottle of Apple Juice and Spray Bottle

1 Box of Tin Foil

1 Box of Cling Wrap

Internal Temperature Gage

Tom's Pulled Pork for the Weekend

Thursday

1.                 Slather yellow mustard all over Pork Butt

2.                 Coat Butt with Pork rub

3.                 Wrap in Cling Wrap plastic

4.                 Put in fridge over night

Friday at around 4:00p.m.

1.     Remove butt from fridge and remove wrap; coat butt with more Pork Rub

2.     Let butt sit 1-2 hours at room temperature

3.     Start the smoker with 4-5 hours of whatever smoke you will use

4.     Place butt on middle shelf

5.     Make sure the slider is all the way to the right on high with top vent open all of the way.  Shut the door and wait until the butt has been smoked for 3 hours

6.     Open the door and check the water in the bowl; fill bowl with water if needed.

7.     When the butt has been smoked for 3 hours, spray apple juice all over the butt. 

8.     when smoke is done at the 4-5 hour mark, put new water in the bowl and then spray the apple juice on the butt again.

9.     Shut door and GO TO BED!!

10. At around 7-8 a.m., check the temperature.  If it is not 195 degrees, do not remove.  Spray some more apple juice on the butt and wait until it reaches 195 degrees

11. When the temp reaches 195 degrees, remove the butt from the smoker and spray again with apple juice.  Then wrap it in foil and place a dishtowel or regular towel around it and place in a cooler or microwave.

12. Wait at least two hours to take the butt out of the foil and remove the fat.

13. READY TO EAT!!

Heres the rub

THIS BUTT IS PLAIN NO RUB NA DA NOTHING

Heres the yummie

hope this helps ya out

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Smokin Okie

Thanks for the advice, One question is what should the cabinet temp be. 

Habanero Smoker

I generally smoke at a cabin temperature of 200°F. If you don't have enough mustard to rub on the pork you can use cooking oil. I generally use olive oil (not extra virgin), to help the rub stick to the butt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)