• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Leg of Pork

Started by primus, January 14, 2007, 01:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primus

HI All,

What is a good way to smoke a leg of pork? Do you use a rub or do you have to use a cure first? It weighs in at #20.

Gizmo

I think it would depend on what what you are looking for in a final product.  Curing is first and formost for preserving food to keep it from spoiling over long periods of time.  Take for instance a Ham.  If you cure it and hot smoke it, the product is preserved and ready to eat at any time.  If you don't cure it, it is raw and needs to be fully cooked before eating.  After cooking the shelf life is much more limited than if it was cured first.  There are other reasons for curing as well (moisture, flavor, etc.).  So, depending on what you want to do, you can have as much fun with the result as you want.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Butt, Sholder AND Picnic? Guessing you may want to do different things with parts. Lots of reference here and the recipe site. Only time I have done whole legs is at the same time as rest of the pig in a pit. Others here can advise better with some more info...

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

I believe the leg is generally a referrence to the rear legs; the section that has the ham cut. Is that the cut you are referring to?

I've never cooked a full leg, but have cured an 10 pound ham from the shank end. As Gizmo states it depend on what outcome you want. The only thing I want to add is home curing today is mostly for flavor, to get that "ham" flavor that we are accustomed to. Curing will definitely change the flavor. A non cure ham is also good, but the tastes is going to be closer to that of a pork roast; which is also good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

primus

Thanks for the replies. I guess we're going with a roast this time since it seems a ham will take awhile.

Habanero Smoker

If you have refrigerator space and the cure on hand, you could be smoking a cured ham in about 8 days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gizmo

And the wait is worth it.  I am on my third run on curing pork belly.  This is my last set from the 15lb that I originally started with.  7lb that will be going in this weekend for a cold smoke.  Haven't done the Ham, but the bacon is awesome.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/