• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My Freezer Conversion

Started by headgames, January 14, 2007, 01:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headgames

As requested this is my freezer/smoker.......... I looked around for the perfect canidate at and older junk yard and found this .....  An old UPBRITE . with PORCELIANIZED metal on the inside except for the door....... which I removed the plastic shelves and screwed on a piece of stainlesssteel sheet metal.

cut my holes in the top and sides.( porcelian cuts HARD. use a quality hole saw)
removed the racks by cutting the tubing that runs the freon through them blew out all the oil and soldered the tubing shut,  screwed in angle iron for the shelves and hanging sticks    used old irrigation pipe for the exhaust and threw on my temp control box I built with a TS loves control .  cut a hole in a piece of sheet metal and slotted the pipe on the vent for a slide the beverage can collects and condensation . Threw in a 1650 watt element from an old BRINKMAN electric smoker and a motor /belt / pulley system from a old  bread maker and ordered a fan blade from Graingers installed a draw latch on the door ( had chicken fall once and pop open the door EXPIRENCE thing, now put a rack just below all hangables . lol ) threw on the smoke generator and ready to roll   
CHANGES to make if done again
1.  cut hole for generator on other side .  it now sets with control to the back (brain fart)
2. keep exhaust pipe short before exiting garage ( condensation in pipe drips on food . installed a catch inside just under it .
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

Arcs_n_Sparks

headgames,

Very nice, but I would move the Tidy Cats pails to avoid giving guests the wrong impression of your rubs....   :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

headgames

lol  good point arc....... thank could be why my last rub had a fresh smelling pine fragrance with every step I took towards the table . lol  ;D

West Coast Kansan

Thanks greatly for circling back and posting your conversion.  Lots of work.  I have been looking for an old unit with the all metal inside (round top type fridge). I did find one very much like yours with the metal inside and plastic trays for eggs etc in the door.  It has the small freezer part in the very top.

Couple of questions, was the door a hastle to remove and get sealed up with the SS sheeting?  What is behind all the plastic and what did you mount to, outside rim of the door?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

headgames

None of it was really a hassle  just time consuming ... the door has a flat edge bent to the inside..... which leaves abit a 1/2 inch surface . The seal was lying on top of the plastic and had SS screws going threw to attatch every thing to the door .............. I just unscrewed the seal from the door .. removed the plastic .. measured the plastic , made my SS the same size.......  used the plastic for the screw pattern and even used the same screws...

HINT .  when using a drill bit on the stainless .  try and buy a COBALT .  seemed to handle all the drilling of about 20 holes . My regular High speed steel  died in about 2 holes .  ;D

West Coast Kansan

Thanks for the advice headgames.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

headgames

No  problem .............. I always get more help and advise then I ever  use off  this  site .................................................

Thunder Fish

QuoteHINT .  when using a drill bit on the stainless .  try and buy a COBALT .  seemed to handle all the drilling of about 20 holes . My regular High speed steel  died in about 2 holes
112 degrees on the bit vs 118 degrees included angle,you can order(or make your own) for drilling into stainless....just a suggestion     :)