• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Belly smoking

Started by MRH, March 30, 2007, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Looks like the patience worked out for you MRH.  Outstanding.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

MRH

Quote from: acords on April 01, 2007, 08:27:37 AM
Looks good MRH!!!!  Did you brine, or dry cure?  How long?
acords,
I dry cured using Morton Tenderquick (1 TBS per lbs) I had them in vacuum sealed bags in the fridge for 5-1/2 days, then rinsed, soaked for 30 mins, changed water and soaked another 30 mins, then rinsed one more time before drying and smoking.

Mark

LilSmoker

What a great reult MRH, i bet the smell was mouth watering!  ;)

LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

iceman

Dang!!! I'm hungry!!! Super job MRH!!! Just wish pork belly wasn't so hard to come by around here.

Gizmo

Stopped by Major Market today for some white pepper corns for the pastrami.  Had the meat counter order up 15 pounds of belly. :)  Will be in business on Friday. 8)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

whitetailfan

Quote from: MRH on April 01, 2007, 06:20:08 PM
I dry cured using Morton Tenderquick (1 TBS per lbs) I had them in vacuum sealed bags in the fridge for 5-1/2 days, then rinsed, soaked for 30 mins, changed water and soaked another 30 mins, then rinsed one more time before drying and smoking.

Mark
MRH.  I used up the last of my Maple cure on the bellies last week.  I have abundant and ample supply lines for Morton TQ, and I'm intrigued by your process/results.  Did you add any other flavours to your rub?
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MRH

WTF,

I did add some other spices to each chunk.  All 3 had TQ, one had brown sugar, garlic powder and black pepper.  The second one had just some pure maple syrup.  The third one had brown sugar and some Cookies flaver enhancer spice mix.  I have only tried the first one so far, I get a little garlic flavor but can't tell any of the pepper (I suppose I should had sprinkled some on when smoking it) I have only had the bacon once, but really enjoyed it.  My wife only cooked the the odd peices that didn't get packaged, so I only had one small peice >:(

Mark

outlander

how long did you smoke for and at what temps? i am getting ready to do up some more BBB and am thinking of trying some belly meat as well. that is if i can find some by the weekend.

chris

MRH

Quote from: outlander on April 03, 2007, 08:40:34 PM
how long did you smoke for and at what temps? i am getting ready to do up some more BBB and am thinking of trying some belly meat as well. that is if i can find some by the weekend.

chris

Chris,

Ok here is what I did as far as the smoking:

Put the bacon in the Bradley at 160 deg and let it go for one hour, then I added pucks to last for 4 hours and turned down the temp to 140 deg.  I removed it after it had smoked plus 30 minutes( I didn't make it out right after it finished with the bisquettes)  I didn't use a meat thermometer since I figured it would have to be cooked, just like store bought bacon. I guess it was more or less cold smoked.

Hope this helped,
Mark ;D

outlander

hey mark,,

thanks, just out of curiosity, what flavor of smoke did you use? was thinking of useing pecan pucks and rubing maple extract on the belly. or would a heavier somke like hickory or mesquite be more inline?  will be heading down to the butcher shop on friday to inquire about some belly. am hoping to be able to try this next weekend , along with some beef pastrami.

chris

West Coast Kansan

Belly I have done absorbs pretty well, maybe maple on maple. Maple / Apple might be nice.  Obviously I am thinking lighter but just my preference. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

MRH

I used hickory on mine... But I really like smoke ;D

Mark

outlander

stoped at the meat shop after work today, :'( they all out till next friday. but have reserved a slab  :D

chris

Stickbowcrafter

That's some fine looking bacon. Nice work!

-Brian

hillbillysmoker

I had to engage my automatic drool control.  Looks super MRH.  Congrats on your adventure.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes