• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

When The Snow Melts

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 28, 2007, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

Malc

Quote from: tsquared on March 02, 2007, 11:06:05 PM
QuoteStinks because I am not home a lot, but I love coaching.
There's a lot of great rewards in coaching, Malc--you won't get any argument from me! My school's rugby season starts at the end of the month--should be good! I coach 9 and 10 year olds--teach them how to tackle safely--all the good stuff.
T2
I agree.  I would love to coach that age.  It would be like starting with a clean slate.  No bad habits and all that.  Oh well, track is clear, but it is about 30 degrees right now.  Looks like we're in for a cold workout.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Wildcat

Coaching does have its rewards. :)  I coached city league kids for years.  The only thing frustrating to me were the parents. >:(  Finally got tired of it.  Since I have retired I volunteer my talents by sitting the bench for the local Teen Court.  It is a type of diversion program for first offenders.  It is great when I can see in their eyes that I have reached them.  :) As an extra reward, I do not have to take anything from the parents. ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

icerat4

PARENTS AND SPORTS  :o FOR GET IT.There is plentyof that at the ice rink i go to .There all wacked.Thats all ya here  in the locker room .How this guys does this and my lil johnny isnt playing and this is not right etc etc etc.Better off drop off the kid and let him play .Then pick them up when there finished.Just my 2 cents ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Mr Walleye

Yup... I can relate! I coached hockey right up to Midget Tier 1 and allthough I have allot of great memories about it (mostly involving the players) there are always the couple of parent issues that clouded the good times. We won many Tournaments & Provincial Titles along the way. I think to coach you have to have thick skin, always look at the positive side and above all else remember who/why you are there for.

JMHO

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

icerat4

Very well said.People ask me all the time to coach as i have play with pros during rat ice time and jr a travel action.I would COACH but the parents are my only issue and for that i decline.Ill stay smoking food and playing rat ice and call it a day .SORRY KIDS.

coyote

Coaching.. parents... :o Coached boy and girls basketball fall thru winter,then boys and girls track all
spring.  Basketball 4th , 5th and 6th.....2 groups for track 2nd , 3rd and 4th , and 5th and 6th graders...
All at the same time. :o.....Never could say no.......loved the kids  and for the most part the parents
did okay.......Some parents >:( became my sport............No regrets and a lot of great memories :)

Ten years at my kids grade school . Forgot to quit when the went to junior high. The last two years I
picked up my son at jr high and we both went to the grade school where he helped ol' dad coach
That was wayyyyyy 8) And at times my girls would come by to play defense b-ball and take a turn at the
track..............Boys don't like to be stuffed by a girl.....EVER >:(
  Good to see we all have a lot in common  ;D             Let the smoke roll boys,
                                                                                                  Coyote

icerat4

Malc

That is why I love coaching track and cross country.  You really don't get many arguments.  Times don't lie.  If kid A beats Kid B, then he/she is faster...end of argument.  My biggest problem with parents is when they think they know the sport.  Had a father not too long ago tell me that his daughter should only participate in one event, because she was only good in that event.  It never occured to him that the reason she was so good in that event was because of the workout she was getting in the others.  He stopped arguing when she made it to state.  Most of the time the parents are good, though.  If you love the kids enough, you can put up with a lot.

Malc

Wildcat

I love the kids enough and that is why I stopped coaching.  I coached baseball and softball.  My frustration with a couple of parents every year was getting to me enough that I stopped before it started affecting the kids.  Like I said, I still help kids but now I can concentrate on them without taking crap from their childish parents.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

winemakers

I can understand the frustration with parents.  I believe this will be my last year of Friday night football wearing stripes.  It has been a great ride and I will miss it terribly.

Pressures from home; two young boys who need dad time, pressures from coaches who's fall salaries approach annual teachers, insane parents who apparently have not read the statistics regarding 1:10,000 student athletes that make it in the NFL etc.

Perhaps the greatest frustration is coaches who simply do not know the rules.  Coaches that teach techniques that aren't within the rules, moronic statements made during the game, abuse heaped on young men they choose intimidate not teach, etc....

If I had a nickel for every time I was screamed at for a Sunday rule on Friday night I would be a wealthy man.  As with anything, perhaps it is time to move on.  A good friend and fellow official counseled me to make a difference in this world by starting at home with my two boys.  Teach them the way, be there for their sporting endeavors, whatever they may be, and work for small victories with them.  Good advice I believe.

mld

coyote

Very well put.............My main philosophy was   Athletes First. Being a grade school coach I picked teams
on a basis  of the team needed some of the kids and some of the kids needed the team. Around 60 kids
would usually come out , each day for that week we'd lose kids each day. By Friday ,we were close to
the number we needed to be at. Practice was never a killing field , it it just turned out to be more time
than most kid's wanted and sometimes parents wanted to be inconvenienced by. Most of my refs were very good. If a kid kept repeating a violation , it would be ED. time. "Hey kid , here's why I keep blowing
the wistle on ya ". Ref's need the power to say mom-dad it's time to go sit in the car and wait til the games over.....coach with the big mouth....you go too......It's all a crap shoot. But it's the days you
roll seven that make it all worth while.

Coyote...........Play Ball !
p.s. I stopped for the love of kids too.
I was ready to make a few of them orphans  :P

Malc

QuoteA good friend and fellow official counseled me to make a difference in this world by starting at home with my two boys.  Teach them the way, be there for their sporting endeavors, whatever they may be, and work for small victories with them.  Good advice I believe.
That sounds like great advice.  You would hope that all would follow it. 

Malc