• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need an answer quick

Started by bunnydude, May 29, 2007, 09:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunnydude

Hey I am trying canadian bacon for first time and I need to know if the curing time is dictated by the size of meat you have or is the time constant reguardles of the size of meat.

I am doing a 1 1/2 pound loin for a first attempt and I have had it dry rub brining since Saturday.

Any help would be appriciated :)

Tiny Tim

Here's your quick answer...don't know how right it is. :P :D

I believe curing time is dictated by how much meat there is (probably thickness rather than weight).

acords

With pork loin, I would go 5-7 days.  Once you start curing thicker cuts of meat, you'll want to increase your curing time. 
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

bunnydude

Thanks for the help I will hit it with smoke thursday and will post my succes or Failure ;D ;D

whitetailfan

If you're dry brining, there should have been instructions on the cure (I assume it is a commercial mix)

The quick answer, as above, is generally thickness.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

hillbillysmoker

I use Morton's Tenderquick.  Follow the directions on package. For each TBS of Tender Quick I mix 1tps of brown sugar, 1/2tps garlic powder, 1/2tps onion powder. Cure in the refrig for 6 days in a gallon ziplock bag turning it over daily.  After curing time do a presoak in water for 1 hour then refrig overnight uncovered to let the pellicle glaze form  You are then ready for smoking.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

It will depend on both the cure and the thickness of the meat. If you are using Morton's TQ, for 1.5 lb. piece of meat I would cure 4-5 days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bunnydude

Hey all you guys are awsome thanks for the help. ;D

MRH

Another thing make sure you rinse it well before you smoke, so its not too salty.

Mark

bunnydude

I took the advise of all, and did it ever come out? BOY HOWDY it has an awsome nice color and a  great smoke flavor. I used tender quick dark brown sugar and ginger for my cure. and I smoked it with straight mesquite.

Again thanks for the advise. :)

Habanero Smoker

Ginger sound unique. How much did you use? Was it fresh or ground?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

bunnydude

For the small loin I used two TBSP of MTQ, 3TBSP of Dark brown sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger.I will use more next time because I really like the ginger it gives everything a very fresh and clean taste.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks. The next time I make some Canadian bacon I'll add some ginger to the recipe I use.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smokerman

sorry to hornin on this post, but if I were to somke cook this piece of meat, to what IT would I take it .
Thanks
geg

Habanero Smoker

Greg;
Welcome to the forum.

I use to go to 150°F, but now I take mine to 145°F.

Here a link to the recipe I use.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=311

I
         don't
                   inhale.