• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoker positioning

Started by justmeandonlyme, May 17, 2007, 02:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey Joe

I don't have a fan on the chimney.  Just the straight pipe.  No fan, so I don't think I need to cut extra vent holes in the chimney.  ???

I have found that if I have the damper closed, even just a tiny bit, that the smoke won't go up the chimney, and comes out the rear and around the smoke chamber instead.  So I have opened the damper full with the flex pipe just sitting on top of the OBS.

The element is glowing red when I open the door.  Perhaps the damper being open full is allowing heat to escape, thus creating my temperature problem.

West Coast Kansan

SJ, is there any condensation occuring at the smoke stack your using?  Just thinking if you have a tall stack you may not be getting a good venting and moisture.  Would have the same effect as IKW's thoughts on too much draft. Each would keep the temps down.   ;D  Same symptom with opposite causes.  Gotta love it.   :-X

In the other post I mentioned past posting here about not having the slider completely to the right but back it off to the left just a tap or two ensuring it is not sitting on a dead spot on the resistor.  It is a thought even though your bulb is glowing red.  Also read a post here where the slots in the V pan were not struck wide enough during manufacture of a few of the pans.  Someone here said he opened his slots just a little and it helped  ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)