Need some sop n sauce

Started by Badger, May 29, 2007, 09:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badger

I going to be doing some ribs this weekend and I've heard some good things about Icemans sauce, where can i get some or how can I make it myself?

Iceman if you're out there please help me out. Thinking of doing a brine soak, rub with memphis magic dust and top it off with, hopefully, some  of Icemans best.

cool site folks!

manxman

Welcome Badger.  :)

He may pick it up from this post but I would try sending Iceman a personnal message through the forum. He can them tell you the price and shipping costs from Alaska.

Believe me..... it is well worth it!!

But don't expect him to give you the recipe, methinks hell would freeze over first!!  ;) :D
Manxman

Badger

Thanks Manxman, it'll never be here before the weekend anyway so I'll shoot him a quick note, in the meantime is there as runner up that I may be able to get locally or even a recipe for something decent?

coyote

I think you right Manxman ;D I had shredded deer loins Memorial Day top with the Iceman's sauce. 8)
Went over big!.............Some didn't even mind when they found out it was venison. :o I agree with
Olds' Mother. It's great even on eggs.

Coyote

tsquared

Badger--Here's a bbq sauce I make that all my guests like:
2 T chile poweder ( I use ancho or poblano)
1T ground black pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground allspice
1/2tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
up to 1 tsp cayenne
1/4 cup canola oil
1 onion finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 shallot minced
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 c white vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 Litre of ketchup (about 32 oz.)

Mix spices, set aside. Heat the oil and gently saute onion, garlic and shallot until tender. Add the spices and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. All the spices make it a very complex tasting sauce, which I love. (The recipe is out of Ron Shewchuck's book, BBQ Secrets.)
T2

manxman

Badger...... tsquared's recipe look excellent, I would go for that.

I find it very difficult to get good shop bought bbq sauces IMHO but then again I live on the other side of the pond to most of the guys here, sure you must have a better selection than us. Most are pretty bland and sickly, the best of the bunch is a US imported one called Cattlemans, that is OK but not a patch on either Pat's or a homemade one. ;) :D
Manxman

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum Badger.  Be sure to stock up on Ice's sauce.  Wonderful stuff.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Malc

I like the sauces from these guys.  "Killer" is my absolute favorite BBQ sauce.  I have never tried Iceman's, but I would reccomend any of them.

http://www.jardinefoods.com/index.html

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Badger

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions, I have noticed several different kinds of peppers in T square's recipe how hot is it? This is my first go at this and I don't want to turn the wife and kids off otherwise I'll be cooking mostly for myself...hey maybe that ain't so bad!

Any opinions on the sauce, comparable to something perhaps?

Malc

Quote from: Badger on May 30, 2007, 08:51:06 AM
Thanks a bunch for the suggestions, I have noticed several different kinds of peppers in T square's recipe how hot is it? This is my first go at this and I don't want to turn the wife and kids off otherwise I'll be cooking mostly for myself...hey maybe that ain't so bad!

Any opinions on the sauce, comparable to something perhaps?
It doesn't appear to be too bad, IMO.  You could always cut back a bit on the cayenne.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

tsquared

Badger: the ancho or poblano chile powder is relatively mild. To cut back on the heat, eliminate or reduce the cayenne powder as Malc suggested and you could even cut back on the tablespoon of black pepper. I would leave the ancho or poblano chile powder(or just ordinary chile powder) in for the taste.
T2