• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Anyone try this temp control/sensor?

Started by Stickbowcrafter, June 06, 2007, 10:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

So the new digital models, which I saved $150 by not getting, would accomplish the same thing as the PID I'm going to build which will probably cost more with materials and my time invested? Great  :-\ Oh well, gives me something else to do I guess  ::)

Someone give me a quick explanation as to how the power cords run from PID to smoker starting from the wall outlet of your house. That's still cloudy.

-Brian 

icerat4

My thoughts on pid.Stay original its easy one ya get the hang of it .Which is by the 4 th smoke.times and temps are no biggie these add ons to me are just that a waste of time and money.Just my 3 cents worth.I have 2 originals and dont even use a probe.I do use a thermalpen which is the greatest tool out there .85 bucks and theres an upgrade.I know i might get blasted for saying this but.Ya guys dont really need this add on stuff to get great results.If your somewhat a cook or have experince with food this machine is set it forget it.Some what.So once again my 4 cents.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Stickbowcrafter

Point taken Ice, and I appreciate and understand your outlook. But if these things work to +/- a few degrees like they claim, I think it's worth looking into.

I have a WSM smoker and I've made some awesome Q over the years with nothing more than an internal thermometer to check the meat occasionally with no worry about temp fluctuations. Recently I've got into cold smoking, semi-dry curing and dry curing. Most of these processes require more accuracy. That's why I'm interested in fine tuning my OBS to those needs.

-Brian

Tiny Tim

Rat is right, the original is fine without the PID, but I'm a numbers guy...I want to set it to a number and walk away from it, only having to come back to check my meat temps, and make sure my pucks aren't jammed.

The digital does have the advantage of setting to a number, but on a 10+ hour smoke/cook, you have to re-set the timer before 9:40 is up.

PID 'structions.

On the newer originals that have the computer cord style plug on each end of the cord that runs from the smoke gen to the cabinet lamp, you can just use an old computer cord to plug into the wall, run through the PID, and into the cabinet lamp, completely bypassing the smoke generator.  The Smoke Generator still plugs into the wall to provide power to it.  The older style original has a complete computer style cord with a normal electric male end on the end that plugs into the smoke generator.

The wiring diagram on the recipe site reads from right to left, starting with the wall plug.  Once I figured that out, the rest of the diagram made a lot of sense.  I'm still going to need help from somebody when I fire it up to set my target temp and run the auto tune feature as the PID manual could just as well be written in Greek or Chinese.

Hope what I've written makes a little sense for you.

Habanero Smoker

IceRat;
I'm not blasting you. Just providing a response.

Butts, briskets and ribs are one thing, and those cuts of meat are very forgiving, if you go over or under you cabinet temperature by 10°F or so. Once you start smoking sausage, fish, hams, Top Loin, bacon and a number of other foods that are less forgiving and require more temperature management, then the temperature control devices become more important and are very useful.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

No blast takin.it still seems a personal prefernce and that ok by me.I have done lots of other things like u mention and have no problems.But i guess i am one of those who sit by my shed and drink lots of beers while smoking and keep a close eye on stuff along with really knowing my temps  inside and out.Just say i am a bs pro ..Patting self on back ok enough. ;D ;D.

and listen to my bose system.Im just one of a few here that think this pid is not for me or them.Sorry didnt mean to sound like a jerk or misleading.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

IKnowWood

bryan

look at this post (if your into looking and getting more confused http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2574.0)

I wanted something simple that I could easily handle doing other things for a long time and not worry about checking the temps.  I have my setup in my garage and I do not want issues in there.  and I am a bit of a control guy, engineer in me.

The TS is much simpler than a PID.  The link above, one of bubbagumps controllers is in pictures as as drano38's setup.  Mine is more like the bubbagump ones.  TS control output is linked to one standard 15A plug, while the other 15A plug is straight power - uncontrolled.  The TS is set on temps to cut power when I am off by 1 degree.

I do not connect the cabinet to the smoke generator.

In my 2 plugs.  The controlled outlet is plugged to the Cabinet, the uncontrolled outlet is plugged to the smoke Generator. 

The control is on the TS to the cabinet direct.  This allows you to be free from the smoke generator and cabinet.

For me I like it.  If it goes, I will make another. It works for me.

My opinion and approach. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

headgames

OK  stick crafter ...........  I love this post from olds place .......... CLEARED THE CLOUDS FROM MY HEAD   lol ........ I have a dwyer  TS  but when that takes a crap I will follow this link ...............  took the WTF out of the PID  for me ........ 

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=504#post504

Later ................
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

Stickbowcrafter

You guys are friggin' awesome. That's what I love about this forum. I can ask stupid questions and get good answers. Sorry to be so dense on the subject, just trying to make sure I understand completely before proceeding.

Diagram reads from right to left, GREAT! Sure does make more sense now. Thanks Tim.

I appreciate all the input. I'll get studying on all the links you all provided.

Just for the record, I just bought my OBS and aside from the male plug that goes into the wall, the rest of the plugs all have female ends, like a computer plug as someone put it. Glad to hear I can completely bypass the smoke generator since that is offset for most of the stuff I'll be doing.

THANKS!!! And keep it coming!

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

Wood, you are the man, thank you. After reading with a clear head and full attention (wife and kids in bed ;D) seems trying the TS first is a no brainer. Gonna see if I can order one right now!

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

TS on the way, will keep you posted.

-Brian