Couple of questions

Started by kuffs, July 05, 2007, 05:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuffs

I've been lurking on the side now for some time and I thought I'd ask a question or two.Does brining really make any difference with the smoker?,and does placement inside the Bradley as far as top,middle or bottom racks have a noticable effect on your time? Also,I've taken the skin off my shoulders when I smoke,since I can't see smoking what I can't eat,but I see pictures sent in with skin on the finished shoulder, am I doing this wrong??
                                                                   JR

SKSmoker

I'll take a stab at the rack postion. I can say absolutly yes it does matter. If say a rack of rib isn't getting done enough or is behind because I forgot to rotate racks <this would never happen :P> I put it right on the lowest rack for awhile an it brings it right up to the others progress. Mind you, if you put that right at the bottom, it is going to get the most heat and leave the others with less heat. Ideally if you are doing, say 1 butt, place it right in the middle and you will have no problems. With bigger loads, rack rotation up/down and front to back helps alot I find for a more even cook.
Lead by example

Habanero Smoker

Kuffs;
Welcome to the forum.

What occurs during the brining process is still up for debate, but those that have different theories on what occurs during brining all agree that it works. If you have the time and space, and can you get poultry or pork that has not already been injected with some type of solution by the manufacturer; brining will improve the finish product; whether you are using a smoker or you kitchen oven.

Here is a link to the most common theory:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html

Also I have found that brining does not give off any additional moisture during smoking/cooking than a product that was not brined. The moisture lost seem to be the same with both products. But with the brined product since you started with additional moisture, the finished product retains more moisture. When I do brine, I now always allow the meat to rest 12-24 hours; after taking it out of the brine and before smoking/cooking. This is because the highest concentration of brine is still near the surface of the meat. Allowing it to rest gives the brine a chance to equalize throughout the meat. Often, this does not require any additional time if you are air drying the meat to form a pellicle.

Most of the time I remove the skin off the picnic shoulder, and a good layer of the fat. If I don't, I will be left with very little smoke flavor, when it is removed after smoking. The only time I leave the skin on is when I am doing a Cuban style pork barbecue, and the skin is crisped in the oven and served.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kuffs

thanks for the replies,I'm going to try two shoulders this weekend so I'll test the rotation theory out,also I've been brining for a fairly long time now and never thought to allow it to rest after,I've allways took it out after 5 to 10 hours and rinsed it off and threw it on the grill or whatever.Sounds like I may change my strategy and try to rest for 10 hours,maybe add the rub and let that soak while resting??I did notice that several pdsts were for adding cast iron implements to the BS to alleviate up and down temps.I took care of this by breaking a fire brick (most stove and fireplace retailers carry these) in half and wrapping the piaces inn tin foil,placing them on the bottom sides of the Bradley
                                                        thanks again

I don't know how to upload pictures or I'd show the double shoulders and brick setup

Habanero Smoker

To post pictures you need to subscribe to a hosting service, to store you photos on. I use Photobucket, it is easy to use. Once you have uploaded your pictures to the hosting service, select the pictures you want to include in your post. This will generate a html code that you can copy and paste within your post.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum Kuffs.  Nice to have you here.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes