• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Phosphate

Started by sherlock, July 20, 2007, 10:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

???
I have a sausage recipe that calls for 2 tsp "PHOSPHATE".

What is phosphate?

Where can I buy some?

It also calls for 1/4 tsp Citric Acid. Again, what & where?

Thanks for your help. :)

jfalls55

Citric acid is available through any decent canning goods supplier. It's used as an antioxidant for fruits. Comes as a white powder, looks a lot like sugar. Have no idea about the 'phosphate', unless maybe it's the stuff they used to use to make the old 'soda fountain' standby they used to call a phosphate.

Mr Walleye

Here is the definition I found on "Phosphate". The only thing I know about it is it's use in fertilizer.

Phosphates were once commonly used in laundry detergent in the form trisodium phosphate (TSP), but because of algae boom-bust cycles tied to emission of phosphates into watersheds, phosphate detergent sale or usage is restricted in some areas.

In agriculture phosphate refers to one of the three primary plant nutrients, and it is a component of fertilizers. Rock phosphate is quarried from phosphate beds in sedimentary rocks. In former times it was simply crushed and used as is, but the crude form is now used only in organic farming. Normally it is chemically treated to make superphosphate, triple superphosphate, or ammonium phosphates, which have higher concentration of phosphate and are also more soluble, therefore more quickly usable by plants.

Fertilizer grades normally have three numbers; the first is the available nitrogen, the second is the available phosphate (expressed on a P2O5 basis), and the third is the available potash (expressed on a K2O basis). Thus a 10-10-10 fertilizer would contain ten percent of each, with the remainder being filler.

Surface runoff of phosphates from excessively fertilized farmland can be a cause of phosphate pollution leading to eutrophication (nutrient enrichment), algal bloom and consequent oxygen deficit. This can lead to anoxia for fish and other aquatic organisms in the same manner as phosphate-based detergents.

Phosphate compounds are occasionally added to the public drinking water supply to counter plumbosolvency.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

acords

Here is a source for encapsulated citric acid.  Works well, and adds a nice tangy flavor

http://www.askthemeatman.com/rubs,_cures_and_other_ingredients.htm#Sugar%20cure
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Malc

Found this on sodium phosphate.  Phosphate is an ion, and therefore, would not be found freely.  It looks like this is what you want.

http://www.americanspice.com/catalog/search.html?SEARCH=21&WORDS=phosphate%2Bsausage&_ssess_=SEARCH_ENGINE
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

3rensho

Here is some info from Len Poli's site (an excellent site for all things sausage) -

AmesPhos: a mixture of  Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Sodium Pyrophosphate and Sodium Hexametaphosphate.   These phosphates improve the retention of natural fluids in the animal muscle that would otherwise be lost in the aging, cooking or freezing process.  They also act as protein solubilizers to aid in binding processed meats.  Their presence results in improved texture, flavor and color.
http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/page0004.htm

I've used the product and it does produce a nice, juicy sausage.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

jfalls55

Interesting thread. I followed the links for the various entries. It looks like the AmesPhos guy has pre-packaged a pre-measured amount to make it ready-for-use in sausage making. The American Spice people sell it in bulk as a powder. If you're going to make it a lot, it would probably be cheaper to buy bulk and mix your own. Also the phosphate is also sold bulk through American Spice. BTW, you might check with Penzey's on pricing. I've used them for years and had good luck on their products and prices. I don't know who would be cheaper, but I know Penzey's IS quality.

sherlock

Thanks a lot for your help.

I am looking forward to making some sausage shortly after DBS gets here.

3rensho

Penzey's is superb in every respect.  Not the cheapest but their products are of the highest quality.  Some other spice companies have ripped me off thinking that I, being out of country can do little against it.  They are right.  I order regularly from Penzey's and have never had a problem in the years I have been dealing with them.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

I always use Penzey's, unless they don't carry a particular spice or seasoning. I agree; they maintain high quality. I also like the gift they give you with each order. A small bottle of spice, or herbs, or spice blend.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)