Newbie here, Can't get Smoker Hot Enough Anymore

Started by romulus, September 23, 2007, 01:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romulus

Have used the smoker about a dozen times, and can no longer get the temp over 150 degrees.  I even took the drip grade out to see if it was blocking the heat.  Any suggestions on what I can do to get the temp back up again?  thanks very much

Habanero Smoker

Providing more information would be useful. Such as what are you smoking, and the size of your load.

Have you changed outlets that you plug you smoker into, or added more appliances to that line. If so, try plugging the smoker back into the outlet you use to use. The outlet you are using, may have too many appliances during power from it.

If you are running your generator, then it seems that the generator is the only element that is producing heat. Check the quartz element. Is the quartz heating element glowing red? If not check your fuse in the back of the generator. Also check to see that the screws holding the element are snug, but don't over tighten them.

Check the front face plate and look above the temperature controller. Is there a crack above it? If so moisture may have seeped in and damaged you circuit board. You may have to order a new one.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

romulus

just checked and there is a crack in the front face plate, have zero idea how that would get cracked. 
This is the only thing plugged into the outlet.
And was just smoking a brisket.  Afraid that I may have to get a new circuit board.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: romulus on September 23, 2007, 02:28:10 PM
just checked and there is a crack in the front face plate, have zero idea how that would get cracked. 
This is the only thing plugged into the outlet.
And was just smoking a brisket.  Afraid that I may have to get a new circuit board.

Habs is right

I have heard of this happening to others on the forum.

I had an excalibur dehydrator that the case cracked all the time. Finally the folks at excalibur said its cuz the case was hot then cold all the time. They finally gave me my $$ back after they sent me 6 cases. I think now they have all their ducks in the pond so to speak  ;D

Maybe thats the case with some of the face plates on the Bradley?

nepas

LilSmoker

The face plate on my BS cracked quite soon after i bought it, for a temp fix so i could continue using the smoker, i removed the face plate, and carefully roughed up the inside surface around the crack. I then used a filler sealant to cover the crack, once the sealant dried i replaced the face plate and have been using it ever since.
I never got round to asking Bradley for a replacement, and i thought that a new one might crack again?

I probably got lucky, as my circuit board wasn't damaged, and everything works fine, the face plate cracking seems quite a common issue though  ::)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Wildcat

My face plate developed a crack (do not know how) about 2 weeks after purchase.  Since I store it indoors and do not smoke when it rains I never replaced it and have not had any problems.  I also slightly elivate the front of the smoker when in use.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Thats what i do too cat
My smoker leans back 3/16"

nepas

iceman

Mine is cracked too. I just shot some JB Weld into it and called it good. A slight tilt back is good (especially for the operator) ;D ::) ;)

Tiny Tim

Got a crack in mine as well, but as long as she keeps workin' fine, I ain't gonna try to fix it.

lol at Ice's tilt back comment.

Habanero Smoker

You all right as long as no moisture seeps inside. If it does then you will end up frying your circuit board like I once did. That is why I always keep the front 1/4" higher then the back. If there is a moisture build up, the liquid will flow to the back of the cabinet and not out the front. If I develop another crack, I'm going to do what LilSmoker does; seal it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)