• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Long Time Listener, First Time Caller.

Started by jeninifer, October 26, 2007, 11:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeninifer

Hey Folks,

After buying a $5 cast iron "smoke box" for my Webar and one very unsuccessful pork butt  :(  my husband bought me an OBS.

I'm in love.

I've learned so much from reading this forum the last few weeks that I finally decided to join.

My first attempt at a rack of ribs was 85% successful.  My second smoking attempt - 2 five pound butts was a 110% success.  The way I see it - there's no where to go but up! 

I put two lovingly rubbed butts on my OBS loaded w/ Hickory Bisquettes at about 7:30 A.M.  They were lightly injected with apple juice.  I spritzed with an apple cider/apple juice combo when I needed to tend to my burned bisquettes.  I pulled them about 4:30 when the internal temp was about 180° and wrapped them in foil, put them in a cool oven and closed the door until 6:00.  One pull on that shoulder bone and everything delightfully fell into place.  I served it with sauce on the side.

Tonight I'll be loading up 3 butts that have been basking in their rub since Wednesday.  These are for a family party tomorrow and I'm concerned about time, so I'm going to do an overnighter.  I'm not sure if I'll go the injection route this time (I need a control subject, right?), but I'm definitely going to keep with the spritzing.  Oh, what glorious bark it produced!  I'm also going to start them with Apple or maybe an Apple-Hickory mix.  I'll give them the old FTC, which will provide great transportation to the party location where I'll do my pulling.  What's better than interactive food!?

I have a lot to learn and lots of experiements ahead of me, but I'm SO excited.  I especially can't wait to try the brine. 

Maybe I'll post my results with some pictures.

Be good!

Jen

Smoker, Joker, Midnight Toker.

KyNola

Jennifer,
Welcome to the group.  Sounds like you are already hooked on the Bradley.  There is tons of knowledge on this forum from the veterans.

Let us know how you're doing!
              KyNola 

Mr Walleye

Hi Jen & welcome to the forum. By the looks of it you pretty much have it cased. The only thing I would add is when doing an "over nighter" try to plan it so the smoking portion of your cook is complete before you go to bed so you can empty the spent pucks and refill the water bowl prior to going to bed. You don't want any chance of smoldering pucks having grease dripped onto them while your sleeping. You may have already new this but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.

Absolutely post pictures!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum Jen!  Congrats on your successes.  It only gets better.  More fun on the way I'm sure.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

Welcome....and congrats on the quick learning curve.

Ontrack

Welcome Jen,
It seems as though you've been doing your homework. Just keep reading what these guys have written, ask any questions that you may have, and there will be success on your table!

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum, Jen. There a plenty of friendly folks here willing to offer help or share in your adventures. Have fun.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Welcome Jennifer! Uh...what everyone else said!!!

Duster

Welcome Jennifer I have to say that pulled pork is my absolute favorite in my obs but there are several things I haven't tried yet. I do recommend a brine but they seem to turn out well no mater how you fix em. Any way hope to here of more of your adventures.

QuoteThe only thing I would add is when doing an "over nighter" try to plan it so the smoking portion of your cook is complete before you go to bed so you can empty the spent pucks and refill the water bowl prior to going to bed.

Mike I thought we had went over this before. An "over nighter" refers to the Bradly, a hammock, and a cooler of beer. Not going to bed! ;D

But hey Jen he dose have a point I have never had a fire but I can see where it could be possible.

iceman

Welcome Jen;
Watch out for these guys. They keep coming up with ideas that cause you to gain weight!  :D ;)

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Stickbowcrafter

Alright, welcome aboard. We need a few more women to balance out us crusty men  :D

-Brian

coyote

Welcome aboard Jennifer , You're gonna love this place !

Coyote

manxman

Manxman

La Quinta

Hey Jen...they're not as crusty as they want to seam...good old fashioned American Males!!! The Brits and Canadians are equally as cool too!!! Nice to have another "chick" to keep an eye on these guys!!! Keep smokin sister!!! These people know what they're doing!!!