• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking my first turkey

Started by Smoking Duck, December 30, 2007, 07:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Hey all,

Am in the process of smoking my first turkey.  I am preparing the brine (using the Maple Brine) as found here:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24

Just curious as to what type of injection and rubs others might use utilizing this brine.  I'd like to use things that won't overpower the maple flavor.  I was just thinking of using some EVOO with some garlic and onion powder to inject.  Not quite sure about what rub to use that will enhance the flavor versus overpower the flavor of the maple.

Thanks in advance.......and I will be using the butter-soaked cheesecloth draped over the turkey as per Chevyman's suggestion.  Wonder if I could put some molasses in with the buttered cheesecloth without damaging?

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

chevyman

Sounds good smoking duck. As for the injection i might try the EVOO and add a little bit of maple syrup in there. Help out with that maple flavor!! As for the molasses in with the butter.....i cant see how it would hurt except that sugar likes to brown but i dont think it will be an issue. Hope your bird turns out good and dont forget to post pics!
When in doubt........give it more COWBELL!!!!

Smoking Duck

Thanks Chevy.....didn't think about the maple syrup, but that would be great I think.  I also worry about the molasses burning too much and will probably forgo that on the cheesecloth.  I will probably just do a basic poultry rub and figure that the maple brine, combined with the EVOO/maple syrup injection will be enough to provide a good, smoky, maplely (is maplely really a word?) flavor.  Will post pics if I can....my wife left our camera at her grandmother's house on Christmas.  I do believe my videocamera can take still shots, so will try using that.

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

The only injection I have used in the past for a smoked turkey was with drambuie.  The ingredients are below.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup drambuie

The drambuie gives it a unique flavor.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

All sounds good to me.  I'm like the dad in the Christmas Story: can't get enough turkey. 
Consiglieri