• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Flying on Instruments

Started by FLBentRider, January 12, 2008, 12:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

In previous smoking sessions, I have used my pyrex wired meat thermometer.
For Christmas I received a Maverick ET-72 and an ET-73. Sweet.

Wether or not I smoke 1 butt or 2, I only put the probe in one of them.

Today I decided to get fancy.

When I put the butts in this morning @ 0354 eastern, I put the ET-73 on the job. All seemed smokin' as usual. At 0830, I emptied and refilled the water bowl (I've had problems with the spent pucks stacking up and not getting dunked). I decided to hook the ET-72 up to the other butt. I gave it about 20 minutes, and discovered that I had a 20 degree difference between the top butt and the bottom butt. (Cheeks at this point ?) :-)

So I rotated the racks. The temps seemed to get closer but... the ET-72 one is still higher.

It's now 1538, and the Et-72 is 210 and the ET-73 is 183 - the ET-73 says the smoker is 236, bradley says about the same.

regardless, I'm going to yank them both @ 1600 and FTC them. I am going to check them both with my pyrex probe, will let y'all know the results.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

I pulled them out, one @ 210 degrees, the other was 186. I put the probe of my pyrex in each (in the same hole) - same temps within a degree.

???????????

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

It seems not all butts are created equally!  ::)

Some seem to take forever getting through the plateau and some are a little quicker. Although rotating racks helps I would monitor each piece you have in the smoker.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

I will always try to put a probe in everything.  Everytime I got a new one, my wife would ask if I was going to throw away an old one.  Of course not!  I have had a few opportunities to have every one of them going. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

After 5 hours of FTC, they were still too hot to pull... The were both delicious...

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!