Crab stuffed mushroom caps (Pics!!)

Started by mcanik, April 07, 2008, 11:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcanik

I just tried this a few days ago as an experiment. This is what I did:

12 large mushrooms (common white)
1/4 cup crabmeat cooked (I used fresh dungeness)
1 tbsp miricle whip salad dressing
1/4 stick cream cheese
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
12 thinly sliced pancietta slices

Preheat BS ~200F
Remove and discard stems from mushrooms
To a medium mixing bowl add next four ingredients and blend well with a fork.
stuff caps with ~1 tbsp of the mixture each
wrap with a pancietta slice each(may not completely wrap but as long as the top is covered)
Place in smoker and smoke for 1.5 hours or to your liking.

I used apple smoke on these for 1.5 hours. This was a test for me and it turned out very well. I am doing a triple batch on the weekend and definitely will be keeping this one!!

PS: The ABTs I smoked at the same time were a huge hit at the party. There was definitely not enough to go around!

manxman

Thanks for the recipe mcanik, always looking for new things to do with crab meat.  :)
Manxman

La Quinta

Hey mcanik...do you think bacon would work as well? Or overpower the crab...?

mcanik

La Quinta
you should be able to adjust the recipe to your own liking. My personal preference was to use the pancietta because it is cured only and not smoked. The mild smoky flavour set it off for me. Let me know how it turns out for you.

tsquared

Thanks Mcanik--a very timely recipe. I just put the boat in for the season at my marina and the crab traps are sitting on the dock, ready to go. I'll let you know how your recipe turned out for me.
T2

tturaider

That sounds awesome mcanik!!! I may have to try that this weekend.
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

bigredsmoker

That sounds fantastic. I am having people over this weekend and may just have to try that one. I may use prosciutto instead of the Pancietta. Thanks for the recipe!

mcanik

Pictures of the smoke before and after!!

Creating the ABT's

Creating the Mushroom Caps

Finished products

Mr Walleye

Wow! Great job Mcanik!  8)

I just ate supper and now I'm hungry again!  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

bigredsmoker

That does it...I am going to have to make the mushrooms this weekend for sure. They look great!

mcanik

I smoked the batch with the pictures for 2.5 hours. that tended to cook the peppers better. For some reason the cabinet temperature did not go above 160f with the food in the cabinet for both smokes. This is all still being developed as I am perfecting it. 2.5 hours may have been to much smoke but it is all preference I guess. 1.5 hours of smoke with an additional hour of cooking time should be good but it is up to you on how you like them.

Fill me in on your success good people!

Dan.

La Quinta

WOW Dan...Awesome! Have company coming this weekend...gotta do those mushrooms!! Yum!! Well done! :)