• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Should I be worried?

Started by bullsi1911, January 26, 2008, 07:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullsi1911

OK, I am not even 3 hours into my first smoke of a boston butt.  I put the thing into the smoker with an internal temp (according to my cheapo oregon scientific probe) of like 38 degrees.  I have the Bradley set at 210, and it is staying pretty close to 200 degrees (according to the temp on the DBS). 

It's already over 90 degrees.  Is it cooking too fast?  Is this normal?

I know, I need to upgrade my temp probes. 

Tiny Tim

Be very worried...It's going waaayy too fast...fortunately though, it's going to stall out for a very long time at around 160 (give or take 20 degrees), and that will put ya back on schedule.

Don't touch it, it'll turn out great...I promise.

Consiglieri

Like Tim said: No worries.  The meat will plateau for quite a while around 150-160F.  Even if the meat were to finish early, you can wrap the meat in foil with a bit of apple juice, then wrap in an old towel, and then place the entire bundle into a cooler, where it will keep warm for hours.  That's the FTC you read about here.  I've FTC'ed butts for over 5 hours without a hitch (I admit I was skeptical before trying) in a 24 hour rated cooler. 
Consiglieri

3rensho

Believe the above posts.  In a while you'll be wondering if it's EVER going to get over 170.  It will, just be patient.  Low and slow.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

MoSmoke

Bullsi1911
I've smoked quite a few of the butts, usually two at a time and have plotted the temps.
Most of mine started at around 38 and were in the 90 degree area in about 3 hours.
They will hit the plateau at around 5 hours and hang there for 4 to 6 hours depending on size and fat content. Once they clear the plateau they will increase in temp at about half the rate you saw in the first 3 hours. After they come out of the plateau, you also will notice that the flucuations in box temp will some what lessen as the butt temps start to climb and are closer to the tower temp.
I've always smoked them 2 at a time and it usually took 16 to 20 hours for the total weight of the pair being in the 15 to 20 pound range.

Good luck

John
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

Malc

Yep, start freaking out and tell the spouse that you must now drink heavily for the rest of the day.  Actually follow the advice above, but whenever somebody is looking, act annoyed and confused and swear a lot.  That way the drinking will look normal, and when it comes out perfect you can say it was a lot of hard work. ;D
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

bullsi1911

Y'all are right. It has taken forever to get to 150- which is where it is hanging now. Acording to my calculations, I have about 4 hours left.

Time for another beer, and to work on my concerned look.

Mr Walleye

Bullsi.... How big is your butt?.... Ahhh... that didn't come out right!  ???

Anyway depending on the size of the butt you might be in for more than 4 hours. I've seen some of mine take all of 8 to 10 hours from the 150 mark. Low & slow... grab a beer and relax... unless someone is watching!  ;)

Have fun

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

bullsi1911

I did a small one for the first attempt. It is just a hair over 7 pounds. From what I saw on Hab's recipe, it should be 1.5 hours per pound.... Right?

Mr Walleye

1.5 hours is an estimate. I usually allow that plus 6 hours on the end till meal time. That way if it takes a few hours longer (mine always seem to) it's not a problem. The rest of the time you can use the FTC method. They are all different, just depends on the fat content of the butt. It really is amazing some times how long those puppies spend in the plateau. It's well worth the wait though.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

bigredsmoker

Bulls, when I did my first Butts, I ended up finishing in the oven. I needed them done so I inched the temperature up and in the end I think I was at 275 for the last hour to get to the 190. They turned out fantastic, so if you are in no hurry, just wait it out, it will get there, you may be half crocked by the time it gets there, but that's ok too...you're at home and don't have to drive!!

Terry

SKSmoker

Typically, my pork butts take 2.5/hrs per pound. Those 1.5 hour estimates I have found are not correct when using an electric  smoker like the Bradley. The 1.5 hours is typically taken from offsets/charcoal smokers.
Lead by example