• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New to Smoking

Started by daddyo, January 31, 2008, 12:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddyo

Hello everyone

I'm new to smoking and I seem to be having a hard time trying to post things too, maybe it's just not my day
today.  Anyway I have tried  the Bradley Smoked Salmon,  my next project is to try ribs. If anyone has any ideas or
sugggestion they would be welcome.

Thanks

Mr Walleye

Hi Daddyo and welcome to the forum.

There is lots of great advice with regards to ribs on the forum. Here is a thread that has some good info.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5436.0

Everybody has a little different idea of how they like their ribs. Some like the meat falling off the bone while others want some pull left there. The first thing I feel you should do is make sure you monitor the tower temps and not rely on the built in thermometer. Myself.... I like them pretty much falling off the bone but not dried out. I typically put 3 hours of apple smoke at 220 degrees, then let them stay in the BS at that temp for another hour or so with out smoke. Next I put them in a foil roaster pan with a shot of apple juice, cover with foil and either fire them back in the BS for another 4 hours or so at the same temps. Some people do this step in the oven and at times I do as well.

Anyway... Good Luck

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

daddyo

Thanks  Mr Walleye

I like my ribs falling off the bone too, and so do my little girls easier for them to eat, I also have a couple of other
questions, are there any particular kinds that you prefere, pork or beef, side or back???  I also have questions about
curing salt, can I use what they call pickling salt, or is any coarse salt OK,  and about this cane sugar I can't seem to find it in the stores here,  cold I use "raw" sugar instead??  Any help is appreciated  Thanks again

Kane

hey daddyo,

I just did 2 racks of ribs last weekend. I hit mine with 3 hours of hickory at about 210 than I removed em and spritzed em real good with apple juice and than wrapped em in foil. back in the Bradley (or oven) at 210 for like another 3 hours than I finished on the grill for saucing. they were awesome. meat had a slight pull so another say 1 hour in foil they wouldve been fall off the bone perfect. good luck and let us know! we like pics too!

Habanero Smoker

Hi daddyo;

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure if I am reading your question correctly, but I'll try to answer it. Curing salt is not the same as pickling salt, of kosher salt.

Curing salts are nitrite, or nitrite and nitrates combine with salt to make it easier to measure. It can not be substituted for pickling or kosher salt.

Pickling/canning salt is fine ground salt; similar to table salt, but pickling salt does not have any additives. It is pure salt. It is readily available in most super markets, and places that selling canning supplies.

Kosher salt is pure salt, which has a larger grain and does not measure the same as pickling salt. Also Morton's and Diamond kosher salts measure differently. So if a recipe has the weight of the salt, you should measure by weight.

Here is a good article to read. And give better definitions of the cures and salts.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consiglieri

Welcome, Daddyo.  Mr. Walleye's post will take you to some good discussions.  You're going love this machine, because of the ease of use.

Don't forget to open a beer, frown at the display, and appear to be "adjusting" settings, or you'll be at higher risk for chore assignments from  the significant other. 
Consiglieri

HCT

Hi daddyo, welcome and enjoy. Lot's of helpful people here.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

bullsi1911

Welcome.  I'm pretty much a newbie myself. 

My first ribs were baby backs with just kosher salt/ fresh cracked pepper rub.  It was great.

daddyo

;Dthank for the replys and the good ides i will try them soon and send pic