• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Leaving Generator on

Started by mtlinda, January 12, 2008, 11:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtlinda

I'm a newbie and I've been lurking for about 2 weeks, since I got my OBS.  But now I have a question.  I've noticed on occassions it has been suggested to leave the generator on during cooking after the smoking process is finished.  Is there a reason for this?  If so, when should you?
Thanks!  I'm not sure I would have had the nerve to even start using the OBS without having this forum.  I have my first butts smoking right now.  This is so exciting!
mtlinda

Mr Walleye

Hi mtlinda and welcome to the forum.

Lots of people leave the smoke generator on for the additional heat it supplies. The main element is 500 watts and the puck burner is 125 watts so by leaving it on you have about 25% more heat. This can be a benefit depending on what your smoking and how much you have in the smoker.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mtlinda

Thanks Mike,
That makes sense, good to know.  Right now I have maintaining at 210, but it did take awhile to get there.
Linda

Mr Walleye

Low & slow... the recipe for success!  ;)

Whatcha smokin'?

Mike

mtlinda

It's actually 2 pork shoulders.  One about 5lbs and the other 6.  ITs at 165, now, has been for about 3 hours.  I can't believe how exciting this is!
But now I know why you should do most of the cooking at night, while you sleep, when you can't be tempted to open and look.  I've been good so far, but it is driving me crazy!!
I just come in and read more of the past posts to keep busy.
We decided the chicken rolls are on the menu for next weekend.  Love the pictures.
Linda

Mr Walleye

Quote from: mtlinda on January 12, 2008, 02:25:35 PM
It's actually 2 pork shoulders.  One about 5lbs and the other 6.  ITs at 165, now, has been for about 3 hours.  I can't believe how exciting this is!
But now I know why you should do most of the cooking at night, while you sleep, when you can't be tempted to open and look.  I've been good so far, but it is driving me crazy!!
I just come in and read more of the past posts to keep busy.
We decided the chicken rolls are on the menu for next weekend.  Love the pictures.
Linda

Ahhh... The dreaded plateau!  ::)

Yup, it pretty much drives ya crazy! All those nice aromas!  :D

Ok... Now I'm hungry....

It's well worth the wait!  ;)

Have fun!

Mike

KyNola

Sounds like you're doing well and the stuffed chicken breasts are really really good.  Remember, lots of bacon!  :D

KyNola

mtlinda

I'm sure everyone has had this same feeling of euphoria after your first smoke,  but I can't believe how fun this was!!!
We had lived in Texas a while ago, and I have so missed pulled pork and brisket.  (You would think that as many cows as there are in Montana someone could figure out how to make a good brisket!) 
I know I didn't do everything the way I should have, but it still was WONDERFUL!  And everyone else thought so too.  I only had mesquite, so only did a 3 hour smoke, it was perfect.  (That reminds me, I should order some other flavor pucks.)
I can't wait to do a brisket.  I think I will visit the meat shop Monday!
Sorry, I know I'm probably rambling, but this was REALLY so much FUN!
Thank you so much for everyone who contributes to this forum.  I have learned so much, and saved so much meat from being ruined!
Linda

Gizmo

Mtlinda,
I think most would agree that the feeling doesn't wear off.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Stickbowcrafter

Sounds like you done good. Welcome to the forum. You'll rarely need any amount of smoking over 2 hours. I've seen some sausage recipes call for longer smokes but the general thought is that any smoking above 2 hours yields little, if any, more smoke flavor. Good luck and keep having fun.

-Brian

iceman

Welcome mtlinda. Glad it turned out for you. The other folks are correct when they say the feeling never wears off! Every time I fire the smokers up I get a tingling cause I know I'm going to have some fun (and cold ones) ;D