• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Grill

Started by Buck36, February 06, 2008, 05:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck36

I am starting to look for a new grill. We have a Kenmore gas grill that I have brought back from the dead enough times. I was looking at charcoal grills but with the Bradley being right there to smoke any meat before grilling I am considering getting another gas grill for convenience. I was hoping to staying the $500-$700 range but I am unfortunately easily persuaded.  ::)

I know this is a pretty vague question but do you have any thoughts or preferences regarding new grills?

KyNola

Buck,
There are so many alternatives.  I have two gas grills.  I have a Holland that I really like.  If you are not concerned about cooking slow or at various temps, the Holland is for you.  I also have a Weber Summit Gold grill.  It does it all.  Large cooking surface, 6 burners, smoker box with it's own burner(that doesn't get used anymore obviously) and a rotisserie with an infrared burner.

You have many options.  That's half the fun!  Happy hunting.

KyNola

Gizmo

Buck,
First question I have to ask is do you want gas or charcoal?

Charcoal (briquettes, lump, wood, etc.) impart a better flavor overall (IMHO) but requires a bit more work to get the coal hot and rekindled if grilling for a long time like for indirect heating.

Gas, is good in that it is easy, quick, but just slightly misses in the flavor that you can get from charcoal.

The best of both worlds for the working stiff is to use gas on the week nights and charcoal on the weekends.

Best suggestion:  No matter what you get, make sure you have one third to twice as much surface area than what you would normally have food on.  To qualify that, it is best if you have enough surface area to be able to do indirect heating when needed.  On gas, that would mean to have at least two independantly controlled burners.  This will allow you to be able to grill delicate food or food that take a long time to cook (like a brisket), and not burn the moisture out of it in the process. 

Give us some more details and we may be able to provide some additional suggestions.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Hi Buck

If your looking at a gas grill you might want to check out the Vermont Castings line. A buddy of mine just bought one and I was very impressed with it. Here's a link to the one he bought.

http://www.myownbbq.com/content/products/productdetails.cfm?id=354

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Sams Cllub and Costco also had some nice looking grills. I was impressed with the Members Mark 6 burner and picked one up after my Weber died. The Weber was a great grill and lasted many many yeays. The new grill (Members Mark) has cast bronze burners and a stainless round stock grill that has a life time warranty and that sold me. I've had it for 3 seasons now without a hitch.
The Vermount castings that Walleye is talking about is a top rated grill also. Either grill can be purchased to run off propane or natural gas. Have fun shopping and don't let yer knuckles drag on the groung to much!  :D ;D ;)

Consiglieri

I'm with Mr. Walleye.  I have a Vermont Castings gas grill, 4 burners, infrared rotisserie burner too.  Side burner is an add-on option.  My model didn't come with a smoke box/burner, but I've been using a cast iron smoke box beneath the grill plates.

Great heat distribution and control; ceramic coated grill/gridle plates.  My criticism relates to the rotisserie set up.  Essentially, there is an aluminum stand that you fit onto one of the grill plates and the spit end spins on top, all inside the cover. 

Canada seems to be making some fine outdoor cooking products: Bradley and Vermont Castings.  Here's a buyer's guide:  http://www.myownbbq.com/content/buyersguide/
Consiglieri

Wildcat

I have a Brinkman Professional chargoal grill that works real nice.  Do not recall what I paid for it but I think it was $200 - $300.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

I have the same grill as Iceman, also on its 3rd season, and I love it. The infrared searing burner is a huge plus. Cold smoke a few steaks, vac seal and refrigerate overnight, then sear both sides and grill. Yum, yum. I think I just figured out this weekend's recipe... :)

Buck36

Thanks for all the suggestions. The absolute volume of grill information out there is intimidating. The fierce battle lines between charcoal and gas, the enormous range in prices, and so on.

That is why I had left the requirements pretty open because I wanted to hear from as many people as possible on this site. I have always received solid information on this forum so I was eager to hear what many of you owned. I guess in hindsight that would have been a better subject title..."What grill do you own."

Gizmo

No, you had the right question then. I have a few grills that I still use that are crap and I would not recommend them.  One of them is a built in that was here when we moved in and the other was a Fathers Day gift many years ago that was purchased from Costco.  The Kirkland is manufactured by NEXGRILL.  The problems with it are the infrared rotisseri burner did not get hot enough to do a quick sear and the flame tamers do not provide a very even temperature cooking surface.  They are also very thin and the edges are now burning away.  The replacement flame tamers are $50 a piece.  Looks like I can get better grade metal from someone on Ebay that makes them.  He sells them for $20, which is a good price but I don't think they will provide an even heating surface either.
On the other hand, the Webber Ranch Grill is awesome if you have a few guests over from time to time.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/